Skybox elevation and shadows on the ground?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed that many estate owners who rent land are asking to put skyboxes at 750m or above (up to 4000m). Is there a reason for that? I had a 65536m2 skybox above my land (750m) and I had a nasty shadow covering my entire sim below (at noon), and now I added 250m to the skybox (1000m elev. now) and that shadow was still there, but then a bit later it was gone, but I dont know if it can come back again. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Brunei/99/147/21

I thought that this 750m elevation treshold is to avoid skyboxes appearing on the map images as well as avoiding that shadow issue. Am I right? No?

How far the shadow reaches depends on how you set your drawing distance in the viewer
I can not tell you if the distance equals the drawing distance but shadow and drawing distances are related
More than one time I have reduced my drawing distance not to walk in the shadow from some neighbors sky stuff

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

addition: The 750m limit you mention is probably a leftover from the time when 768m was the upper limit for building

I think it really depends on the draw distance. As long as the skybox is out of your draw distance, its shadow will not render. Because the default maximum DD value is 1024 m, I suggest to place the skybox above that distance.

Regards :matte-motes-smitten:

I don't get it. You had a 65536 m² sky"box" above your land? That is a sim!!! Of course if you hang that monstrosity too low it'll block out the sun. Further, shadows coming and going is a totally normal thing. It's called "day cycle", so at noon you'll only have ugly short shadows right underneath while in the morning and evening you have those beautiful long shadows.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.