How I got SL to play in ULTRA on a 5 year old 3870 with 20-60FPS...

Andre54 Hax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

MY SPECS:
4GB DDR2 Ram (800mhz)
AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 OC'd to 3.5GHZ
ATI 3870
460GB HD @ 7200RPM W/ 191GB'S free
1x 23" monitor @ 1920x1080
1x 17" monitor @ 800x600

For comparison, the ATI 3870 can be compared to the 8800/9800GT line.

Essentially running SL at 1920x1080 or in a screen of similar size with graphics on low I was getting around 15-30fps. What I did was made my second monitor 800x600 in windows which was the smallest it would go and put SL in that monitor. I was able to switch the graphics to Ultra and only lowered the viewing range to the smallest possible. I now get, in full screen on the 17" monitor, 20-60FPS and everything looks STUNNING! The game also runs very smooth. 

I think they may have to do with the issue dealing with some people claiming to have really high FPS under high settings with the same hardware as other folks who are getting much less FPS and are banging their head against the wall trying to figure out why.

Essentially the resolution the game is playing at makes a hugedifference. More than anything else. This is true with modern games and very true with SL.

The trick here is to lower the screen res of the monitor itself to small size. This works well if you have two monitors because I can forever keep the second in a smaller res and put SL into that screen.

With 4X anti-aliasing things did not look that blocky.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I run SL in a window instead of full screen because I noticed how much it affects FPS. But I like the big fully screen view with all the window clutter behind it. I'll have to fiddle with screen rez on my 2nd monitor and see if I can do something similar.

Thanks. :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.