How to avoid hacking from other users? I get enemies. thx

Mataharik

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Protect your password: do not ever give it to anybody, not even your partner or best friend. Do not ever click on suspect links requesting your account information (i.e, Phishing). All you need to know about securing your account is in here and in the links associated with it. :smileyhappy:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Password_Protection

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Email_Scam_(Phishing)_FAQ

http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php#tos3

• Like 1

PREVENTING ACCOUNT HACKING

Protecting your various login accounts is so easy yet so few people take the needed measures to do this.

a) Good Passwords - Good Passwords - Good Passwords

No lecture just a solution: A good complex password has these qualities

1) Capital & lower case letters + numbers + at least one special character
2) No words in it taken from your known life experiences
3) > 8 characters in length
4) Never use the same password for your various services
5) Since you will ignore 4) above  have a table with a additional code for each service you use - e.g. Add an "a1" to the end of the password for your PayPal Account -  add an "u2" to the end of the password for your Electricity Account ,,, and so on.

b) Keep your PC/Mac Clean of all Trojan Horse and related software

Keep good AV & Anti-malware software on your computer and update it frequently. If you get a notice that it has found something deal with it Immediately!!!!!

c) Be smart about the Internet and Email.

Never login onto a site or service reached from a link mailed to you unless you have verified that the email was requested by you and from the service [ Bank, Financial Service, Utility, Game Service, etc.] you requested it from.

PREVENTING GETTING ENEMIES

1) Play nice with others. It's as simple as that!

Carry On!

• Like 1

We all want to protect our accounts, and the advice from the others will help you do that.

Please note that there are extremely few documented instances of "hacking" in Second Life.  Your account is secure...UNLESS you give out your password, have an easily guessed one, or have it stolen by visiting a phishing website.  Or your account can be used by someone who has physical access to your computer, if you left "Remember My Password" checked on your log in screen.

My question to you would be, WHY do you "get enemies"?  I and most of my friends have been in Second Life for years, and have very few if any enemies, and certainly extremely few who dislike us enough to try to cause trouble such as account theft.  It might be time to take careful stock of your own behavior, because it could be the way you treat others that's making all those enemies for you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.