Crashing when opening an external browser

hotarutomoe0106

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just got a new laptop.... about 3 months old now.    HP 2000 with windows 8, 2gb of ram.    Not that fast, but it runs sl fairly smoothly.   There's just one issue.    I've been using firestorm, and every single time I open an external browser like google chrome or firefox, firestorm goes unresponsive for several minutes on end.... until I disconnect from in world, or the viewer crashes all together   Most of the time I'm have to unplug my laptop, and I know that's bad supposedly.   The only way to stop it from dcing is to load my browser first then SL.... but I don't know if it's the viewer, or the browser....    Anyone else have this problem?

Edit, it seems that any viewer I use crashes when opening google chrome.      It's like.... chrome sucks the life of out SL.

Rats.  I was hoping that was it, too.  I wonder, since you say that Firestorm sort of hangs for a while and locks up ...... are you by any chance running at or close to 100% CPU usage?  That could happen if, for example, your anti-virus routine was scanning every single texture that your viewer downloads before the GPU can process it.  It can also happen on some cards if Threading Optimzation is not working right.  Take a look at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/100_cpu .  If that's not the answer, I suggest posting a bug report on the Firestorm JIRA -- which they actually leave public, so you and others can see responses.  It's at http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.