Problem with Windows Visual C++ Runtime Library

Phoebus Delwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello Everyone!  Got the following problem:

When I start up SL in the normal Second Life Viewer (I downloaded the latest version), all starts out fine, except the textures, contacts and  other stuff  are not loading really fast. After about 10 Minutes, an error pops up

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. "

The Error refers to the Second Life exe file.

At the moment when this error pops up, all textures and contacts are loading really fast, my avatar turns from cloudy state to its normal appearance, and from time to time Second Life Voice is also enabled where it was disabled the 10 Minutes before.  I can keep on playing 5 minutes when I ignore the message, but then Second Life freezes.

I googled a lot but I did not find any good solution to this problem. I have re-installed the viewer and the Visual C++, deleted all Visual c++ except the 2008 redistributable, and deleted a program that was rumoured to be the source of this error, a free YoutubeDownloader program. Nothing helped. 

I must say that I am no computer professional at all, thus do not know anything about this Visual C++ stuff nor any Computer-related stuff... so I would request you to answer me as you would answer a total noob :D

I have not played Second Life on this Laptop yet. An odd thing is: The same problem occurs on my computer (Windows XP). But it is far more important to me to fix this problem on this laptop as I rarely use the computer anyway.

I use Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 32 bit.

Thanks a lot in advance and excuse my faults in english language - I am german ;-)

Phoebus Delwood

3 answers to this question

Phoebus,

Please make sure that you have applied all Critical & Important updates for your PCs. . In the important category, always select all except the obvious MS product upsells like Bing & Windows Live unless you use either of these.

Why some of the updates are buried in the Important category is beyond me.

• Like 1

Hello, there are several possible factors that could cause this:

- the updated Viewer requires a later Version of the c++ Runtime Libary (try to update the runtime libary)

- The runtime libary has an issue with the application ( viewer) here are some hotfixes offered by microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538

- or it could be a similar problem to a former issue that the firestorm viewer also had. They suggested to uninstall the viewer (in your case whatever viewer you are using) , then remove all left over files manually from the former installation directory, get the full latest viewer version (not the update version) and install it fresh.

- If none of the above solutions helped please create a support ticket: https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

@ Karen:  i believe its to separate them into needed, necessary, and potentially wanted updates. Since tere are so many sub updates and categories and softwareupdates and we mostly only need the half of it anyways. This way we can limit the amount of downloads / updates being pulled whenever updated. Very usefull actually instead of clustering your bandwidth with stuff you didnt even want =) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.