FBX export simple question

Baal Zobel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been happily building a large scene in Max 9 assuming that when the time came I could just export individual objects from the scene as FBX files and convert them to Dae and then into SL I have done some experimenting with individual files and the export worked well. But it seems that the exporter will only export all the objects in a scene and not selected objects even when Export selected is used. Is there something I am missing or do I now have to carve the scene up into smaller exportable chunks. Thankyou 

Here is one way to get the objects in the scene as single object exports (to OBJ, FBX, Max etc):
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/batch-exportimport

Another one is this one here with additional functionality (triangulation, renaming of materials to match the objects and more):
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93587

Another way to  to go for it and to also export in a format that is suitable for Secondlife's requirements would be the following:

Get the latest version of blender. (it now has inbuilt an exporter to DAE with options explicitly for SL).

Export your scene as wavefront.obj or as FBX - doesn't matter-  and import / open it in blender.

Now you can select the single object (rightclick it ) and choose export to DAE. On the lower left side you will find options - make sure to select here "selected only" (there are also some specific settings for rigged meshes to export for SL)

Have fun creating, Cheers! Code

Forgive me if this sounds too simple, but have you tried rebooting your machine?  I had the same problem for a few days last week, in three different programs (Maya, Mudbox, and DAZ Studio).  Every time I would try to export a selection, I'd end up with the whole scene exported.

I figured it must have been a memory glitch or something along those lines, since only something really foundational could affect three different programs in the same way.  I was somewhat irrationally reluctant to reboot, though, as I had a mountain of work on my plate, and a really tight deadline in front of me.  Strange as it seems in retrospect, deleting the extra stuff after each export actually felt like less of an annoyance at the time than just stopping for a minute to reboot.  Funny how priorities get out of whack when you're stressed.

Eventually, I had no choice but to reboot.  Photoshop also started malfunctioning.  It refused to save changes to 3D paint files, and it also began throwing occasional errors at me, claiming my graphics card doesn't support hardware acceleration (which of course, it does).

A quick reboot made all the problems go away, and the world was right again.  So, if you haven't tried that yet, give it a whirl.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.