Rotating a pyramid level complications

Falcor66

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So basically the question is how can I rotate a bunch of objects together, along a central axis, that are too far apart to link without a Rez-Free box?

I have built a gigantic pyramid with multiple levels. Each level will eventually have a maze on it leading to the next level. The problem I am experiencing is that I would like to rotate the levels separately, along with everything that is on that level, along a central axis. When I was building my objects were too far away to link, so I used a CasperTech Rez-Free to keep them all together. Since when editing I can rotate the Rez-Free box and rotate the level I thought that I could put a rotation script on the box and the whole level would rotate, but only the box will rotate.

Each level is within a Rez-Free box, which are all within a single Rez-Free box, but I do not know if this is the wisest approach.

Thanks for any help!

If you're asking about how to rotate the objects by hand, the answer is simple.  Just select them all, and rotate the entire selection via the on-screen manipulator.  Don't try to use the numbers in the editor, as that will only affect the last selected object, not the whole selection.

If you're asking how to get the whole thing to rotate continuously on its own, like a revolving restaurant or something, you'll have to use some more advanced scripting.  I'm guessing you used TargetOmega to rotate the Rez-Free box?  If so, the reason that that only rotated the box is because it's just a client-side visual effect.  The server doesn't know it's happening, so the other objects never get the message to move.

To make it work, you'll need the rotating box to announce its orientation, at regular intervals, so the ther objects can know about it, and respond accordingly.  The results may or may not synchronize all that well, depending on network traffic conditions, and other factors.  You could also try using pathfinder options, to make the individual objects move along a circular path.  I really haven't played with the pathfinder tools myself yet, so I can't speak to how well it works, or what the pitfalls might be.  Synchronicity may well be a problem wth that, too.

I would suggest you ask about this over in the scripting forum.  There are likely plenty of people over there who could offer better guidance that we can here.

ETA:  Your post brings back memories for me, by the way.  One of the first things I ever built in SL, way back in the day (over nine years ago), was a giant pyramid.  Its footprint was a half sim x a half sim.  While not exactly gargantuan by today's standards, it was one of the very largest buildings in the world at the time. (The entire grid was only about a hundred regions, back then.)

Inside the pyramid were gardens, pools, a nightclub, apartments, and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't quite remember, on multiple levels.   Nothing rotated, though. :)

Thanks for your response. I am still very new to second life and don't know too much about scripts let alone path finding. But I will try and bring this to a scripting forum and see what I can find out.

Glad to bring back some fond memories for you. Hope I can get it to work.

PS. I actually got the idea from an episode of sliders. That horrible nineties show about sliding between parallel worlds.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.