I have found sign up place for New Avatar With Lastname, But unable to change Sims?

Delonte Adored

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Because the sponsoring organization set it up that way.  Usually this is used when the purpose of letting you create an account is for work or education and they don't want you wandering and goofing off in SL as a whole or the intended users are underage and are not allowed in the general SL areas.

To my knowledge other than sites that restrict your avatar to a specific island, there is no where you can create an account with a last name. 

It seems legit. I just created an account and logged to the Second Life official dashboard with no problem, and logged to Second Life. I was asked to choose an avatar from the library ones. On login, my new avi rezzed in California State University Campus, Cal State Northridge:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cal%20State%20Northridge/155/148/26

I see no reason to contact the support. SL must have an agreement with the California State University. 

@ Amethyst, this is correct, you cannot TP away from California state sim. This first name and last name feature is restricted to this area. :smileywink:

That's a restricted-access education sim. The account you made is only usable in that sim, and is useless for accessing the main grid. They NEVER export an account from the resticted sims to the main grid. The accounts created via that link only have access to the sim or sims that are part of that college or university's Estate, and never to the rest of the grid. Also, they could allow accounts there for kids, if they choose, since the only content available in their sim will be the G-rated stuff that they choose to make available. No account with access to that sim can ever leave that sim, or communicate in any way with the real main grid. Those sims and the accounts there also have no access to SL Marketplace or any other source of content that is available to main grid users.

Sims like that have been around for quite a while, but are usually only publicized to people signed up for classes at that university. Restricting access like that is one way to be 100% certain that none of your students are exposed to 'inappropriate materials'. They existed back when the Teen Grid still existed, primarily as a place where the teen and adult users could meet in a hyper-controlled environment. Back then, to create an account there for an adult you even had to go through a police background check, so you were deemed 'safe' to interact with children!

Incidentally, even the staff and instructor accounts are stuck only in those sims. If I wanted to work for that university as a Builder, I would have to create a completely new account there, or I could create an account on the main grid and go through a tedious and definitely one-way-only conversion of that account to exist only on that micro-grid. The one-way conversion allowed people who made accounts on the main grid by mistake to get their accounts moved to their school's sim, and allowed instructors, and content creators like myself, who already had main grid accounts to do a one-way import of an account with an inventory already pre-stocked with textures and scripts and building components to work with, so you didn't have to completely re-invent the wheel to make content there. The last time I checked, 'main grid' to 'school sim' conversion required the same scrutiny as creating an account for an adult in that sim, and you needed approval from the sim owner and a check of your inventory to be sure you were not importing anything you didn't have full-prem creator rights to.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.