Logo problem

Ayelin Ethaniel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings everyone!

I have a big problem. As artist and creator i know there is important to take care about customers and not colliding by others and even by other's creations. I know how serious can be a copyright or intellectual property questions.

I've made a logo long time ago and i thought i will use under my new shop but i found it very similar as i remember and i feel there i saw this and no matter if it has been drawn from memories, still... i don't want to have any IP problem in the future.

The questionable logo itself:

Logo.png

I've asked creators groups in-world and almost everywhere and i've not found any exception to use this logo.

If somebody know about similar logo please tell it, It would be a great help.

This is a common mistake about IP & copyright.

A logo is NOT copyrightable.  It can be TRADEMARKED.  This is a whole different area of law.  And unless the appearance is VERY similar, AND with the intent to be mistaken for the logo of another company (in order to draw customers/interest based on confusion, not merit) THEN there can be a legal issue.

Your logo looks similar to a few I've seen, but not in SL.  For example, it resembles the 'fantastic ferret' emblem of a superhero from the Disney series "Kim Possible".  I think I've seen a similar emblem as a skate supply brand of some sort.  But they are ALL different enough (both in venue and appearance) that I don't think you are going to run into any trademark issues.  And unless the logos are REGISTERED TRADEMARKS, there isn't much legally to worry about anyway.

• Like 1

Copyright "The exclusive right to control reproduction and commercial exploitation of your creative work. Copyright protects any kind of artwork, including illustrations, photographs and graphic design. Except under certain circumstances (see “work made for hire” section), you own the copyright in your work at the moment you create it in a “fixed form of expression.” A fixed form of expression is any tangible medium that can be perceived by humans, including traditional forms—such as paintings, sculptures, writings—and new forms that require a machine to perceive (e.g., GIF files, CDs, websites)"

"A logo that includes artistic or design elements, (i.e. not just the name on its own), is legally regarded as being a work of artistic creation and therefore will be protected under copyright law" 

First of all is hard to copyright a tapeface logotype because are not recognized from most of copyright agencys. This logo type is not Typeface, its Design so you can copyright it.

Secondly if your logotype has at least 1 difference from another logo, you can use the logotype.

If the logotype is fully registered, for example I made a cat face logo like yours'with all copyrights, and im sign to not use by others some modifications of logotype or look similar with mine, then, you cannot use it (but it always depends)

Even if some logotypes looks like have rights on them,are not copyrighted or trademarked*. You need to make an extended search on it or ask a lawer.

Even if the secondlife is a worldwide area, I think that you will not have any problem with your logotype but i advice you to make something more unique.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.