Why does SL freezes and or crashes when I am dancing at the club or basically done nothing?

Sharelle Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Overly the past two weeks, playing Second Life Sucks! I updated my graphic card and got the Techinician to my home twice and still no luck in playing long as I usually play (not even thirty minutes). I dont understand? Seriously, I could be at the club dancing on one of my sister's HUD or my own . I also could be standing around in my rental (changing clothes, etc) or at the club when it constantly freezes or crashes. In addition, lately my player stops working too and I have to toggle music often (sometimes reboot). Here's my computer information below:

Firestorm 4.3.1 (31155) Dec  2 2012 00:45:37 (Firestorm-Release) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 299,809.0, 279,833.0, 2,601.2 in Vinogradov located at sim7325.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.34.73:12035)
Second Life RC BlueSteel 13.02.01.269843
Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e   (1607.37 MHz)
Memory: 2815 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0013.0774
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 2.1.3010.6270

Settings mode: Phoenix
Viewer Skin: vintage (classic)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 128
Bandwidth: 500
LOD factor: 2
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 14/31,768 (0.0%)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

8 answers to this question

The combination of your Music Player stopping and the Freezing points to issues with your Internet Service or your connection to it.

1) If using wireless, try using a Cat5 connection directly to the router for a while and see if that helps.

2) Have you restarted your router in the past few weeks? If not do so, but I think you have as the tech has been out.

3) Did you get a new Anti-Virus/Firewall software product in the last few weeks? If yes, try playing with it disabled.

I'm not aware of any NVIDIA Issues that require to use an older version of the Video Drivers but those usually don;t cause the Music Player Drop Out..

I'm sure others will provide more possibilities...

• Like 1

Thank you for responding. Kudos to you! :)

Forgive me if I seem like a dense...I am not a wiz in a computer (but know a little).

When you mention Cat5, is this an ethernet cord? I am using a CenturyLink PK5001Z wireless Modem and an ethernet cord. I also haven't installed a new Anti-Virus/ Firewall program (Firewall built with my computer and I am using Avast anti-virus software). Anyway, I will try disabled to see if this will helps. Again, thanks.

I've not heard of any Avast problems and SL. In fact it is one of the fee AV's that many people in SL recommend because it doesn't seem to interfere with SL at all.......unlike Norton or McAfee.

A Cat 5e cable is an Ethernet cable. But that won't help if your router and modem need to be rebooted. I don't know if your technician did that but I would not be surprised if he did not. It's simple to do. Just unplugg the devices for 3 to 5 minutes then plug back in. Restart your computer to re-establish your Internet connection and try SL again.

I tried to find out when your video adapter was released. I know the 6150 LE is an old one because I had that adapter years ago on another computer. It is an intergrated video accellerator (not a dedicate, or discrete, card). I could only find reviews and forum posts relating to the adapter dating back to 2005. That makes the adapter 7 years + old (but it could be older since I got rid of the computer that had the adapter about 7 years ago). I'm surprised SL works at all with that graphics.

The graphics SL thinks you have is an old integrated video chip from around 2005. If you installed a new video card with reasonably current technology it isn't being recognized. If it was the "technician" who installed it, he or she did unmentionable things with the pooch. In any event, a Nvidia 6150 doesn't meet the system requirements. Your CPU is also barely powerful enough to run SL.

• Like 1

The point you are missing is that you "updated" your graphics to something less than what you had before. In my view that's a downgrade. Actually, when I searched for your graphics "card" I could not find a discrete card with that nVidia disignation........only intergrated chipsets. I don't know how anyone can change an intergrated chipset without changing the hardware that the chipset is intergrated into. In your case, that would be the motherboard (which is quite a change for any system).

I hate to say it but you got horn swaggled if your technician told you that he upgraded your GPU........he may have replaced your motherboard. And it appears the motherboard he used to replace your old motherboard has a weaker intergrated GPU. And technician who hires him/herself out for computer upgrades (or repairs) would know that......if not then that technician is a fraud (read that as thief).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.