Exporting as BVH

Alanna Preez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have been trying to use DAZ Studio to make animations, I got the default avatars and joints, everything I need to start makig animations. I made some testing poses and they work fine, the problem starts when I try to make animations.. The animation Im trying to make is of someone restrained by the wrists with hands above the head, I found a way to pin them up on DAZ, to prevent them from moving while I could animate the rest of the body. It worked perfectly, but when I export the file and import on SL there was always serious issues.

The wrists would constantly move (X, Y or Z axis), even tho they are not animated and fixed in my animation, deppending on the movement sometimes the entire avatar would move on its axis. What I notice is that if I export my animation as FBX and open it on 3D Max it is perfect, the problem seems to happen everytime I export as BVH. If I visualize the BVH file on other programs like QAvimator I also see them broken, so its SL import process, it seems to be the BVH export process. I have also tryed to check and uncheck the Secondlife compatibility box on export window, but nothing really seems to change..

Is there  way to prevent this?

Thanks

Ok, I'll take a stab at this. What I'm thinking is that you have some keyframing issues. First, make sure you are seeing every frame. You can change how the animation plays to make sure it shows every frame, but the animation will play slower in this play mode.

Play-all-frames.jpg

Once you know you have seen every frame and it still looks fine, then you might try selecting the whole figure, with all it's parts, than then adding a keyframe to every frame. If all the bones are selected, and you keyframe every bone in every frame, then the bvh file should be exactly what you see.

select-all.jpg

My guess is that the interpolation between your keyframes is acting weird because you should have added a keyframe or 2 at the end of a move, or at the end of the animation. The program will interpolate between 2 keyframes, which basically means it rounds out the movement to the next keyframe.

Thanks for the reply.

A friend once mentioned this interpolation problem, so I did try adding some keyframes and manually moving some joints, just a little, when I made this animation. I did try selecting all joints, enabling the "Play all frames" option and adding keyframes manualy to all frames as you suggested.. but it didnt make any difference. The avatar continues to move as a whole on its X, Y or Z axis while it struggles, the hands are supposed to be immobile and fixed in place (like on the animation) but they still move with the avatar for some reason.

The animation looks perfect on if seen on DAZ or exporting as FBX and checking on 3Ds Max.

If you want to send me the animation, I can take a look at it and tell you exactly what the issue is. A bvh file is not going to help me tho. If you can save the animation as a DUF file, then I can see the animation as you originally created it. You just have to goto File/Save As/Pose Preset, then just send me the DUF file. Make sure when you save the DUF file that you check the "animation range" option, and check all parts.

savepreset.jpg

Contact me inworld to get my email address.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.