Finding Myself

Nyxxklien1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been thinking a lot lately, and I have come to realize that the reason I actually joined Second Life to in hopes to maybe find myself, having lost it somewhere along the way.  Can anyone relate or am I just looking at it in an odd way?  Seems to be a good way to do it, perhaps even therapeutic if used correctly.  Views?

I think it begins with a self-idealization of a part of ourselves. like in the beginning we imbue our avatar with some trait within our selves that we wish to improve. we do it in a semi-detached way to begin with. in the same way we play with dolls

then as we gain more confidence we begin to explore further. and our avatar starts to change to reflect this. and so do we. dolls have this effect on us as well

+

if we not have a destructive bent then we become quite protective of our avatar bc it begin to take on a life of its own. like not only do we shield it from others behaviours. we also shield it from our own. like after a time we don't make it do things we know the avatar would not do if it had free will. because of its status/friendships with other avatars/friends

the protectiveness we put round our avatars leads us to creating alts when we want to idealise some other part of ourselves. bc we no longer the owner of our original avatar. meaning we no longer feel we have total rights over it to do whatever we want to it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.