im hearing a rumor about sl djs having lyrics in there music is it just a rumor

Don Moonites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Don,

I'm an active DJ in SL and I've been hearing various rumors about venues being monitored for Music Sources, DJ's performing at Venues and their Relay service ip addresses being monitored, etc, etc, etc.

These are just rumors.

Think about it. LL protects in-world creators via DMCA issued requests to their legal department. As a matter of policy and as a reality check, LL doesn't have the time or resources to monitor each and every venue streaming music on publicly available relay services. This includes Internet Radio stations, Private parcel owners streaming music for their own enjoyment as well as DJ's streaming music for events at club venues.

To be sure, If you are a DJ in SL and streaming copyrighted music you are technically required to:

1) Own a licensed copy of the music

2) If streaming for your own enjoyment and that of visitors to your parcel then, 1) is historically enough. - Note, Party DJ's in real life usually own the music they play to the audience at private affairs such as Weddings and parties. Most are not also paying public play fees.

3) If you are broadcasting commercially and receiving income [note - lindens are not currency legally] or recognition as the provider of the music, you technically have to have in place a music streaming log that reports plays of licensed music in order to pay the mandated public play fees through the various artists/owner agencies. You may also be covered by a Blanket payment that covers a large catalog of music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_licensing

I DJ into SL and also maintain an Internet Radio Station. I pay my licensing fees via a Blanket Agreement to 2 agencies. Even so, I'm not sure that these cover my play of music into SL.

So that rumor regarding looking for DJ's that deal with a request for a song by downloaded it from YouTube where the person posting it originally renamed it artist - song title [lyrics] seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Now the YouTube staff at Google might be hanging around in SL but that is a rather inefficient way to manage copyright protection of material that shouldn't be on YouTube to begin with.

Enough said?

• Like 2

Hello Karen been a while !

Without wanting to stirr up things your answer is not wrong or right.

German GEMA tracing down DJs for playing Music, ripped or bought, then inspecting if they pay the fees.

No matter if you make Money, whenever you Play Music you have to pay.

That´s the reason some Songs are hidden on YouTube for German Viewers.

Actually a DJ licence, no matter if you Play on SL or an Internet Radio or Air-Radio - having 0 or 100 listeners, is expensive.

They cannot track your RL Name or adress but they have the power to ask the Police to make LL Hand out this Details.

This is no big grid wide hunt but just to say being an SL DJ is no law-free Zone.

Monti

up to 150 listener  21,80 €

+ the cost for each song 0,20 to 0,50 € per song

Monti,

Long time no chat :)

G.E.M.A. seems to be a bit of a wild card in the royalties collection arena.

http://www.gema.de/

Well to be sure, We should never play in clubs located in Germany without a Blanket Royalty arrangement being in place with some Authorized Royalty Collection Agency.

I agree with you on the no law-free comment as well. The Blanket agreements with E.M..I and A.S.C.A.P. are very reasonable and protect you across a huge catalog of music performances.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.