sound cuts out ..

Korrah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

sorry if this is the wrong area to post this but i didnt know what else to do because my teckie freinds in sl are clueless.So hers my problem i go to play any stream in sl  like when i go to any club an the sound cuts out.I know my internet connection is good so it cant be that an all my settings for the sound are where they are suppost to be.I can get out of sl an play stuff on youtube or get into my sims 3 games an the sound never cuts out on those so what else could it be? can anyone give me any ideas?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There could be many reasons for this. Some could be on your side or some could be on the persons streamings end.

1. Laggy sims in SL can cause this  issue as well as listening to it though the SL browser. Have you tried listening to the URL through a player outside of SL? You should be able to get the land URL from the land info/about land tab for sound/ Music URL. If you listen to it in an alternative player like winamp and there is no issue then it is SL being evil to you.
  2. It could be on the DJs end if they are streaming too high for their system it will cause skips in the music for listeners. Also DJs streaming at a high bit rate can cause skips for listeners that can't handle the stream at a high bitrate.  I recommend 96kbps for everyones sake but that is a DJ preference. Many DJs are not aware that when streaming to an audience you really shouldn't run SAM (or other DJing programs) and listen in Second Life at the same time. As uses an awful lot of bandwidth on your broadband connection and may cause skipping for the listener. It's not saying a DJ can't do this but if they are having issues it is something to look at. (not that you are asking about DJing and music skipping but it is good to know)
  3. Which brings me to my last one ISPs and where the server the music streaming from is located in the RL. I know many people from Europe seem to tell me they have stream listening issues with drop outs when they listen to streams from servers in the US and some don't. I'm not sure where you are in the world so this may or may not be an issue.

I don't know if any of these things shed any light on your issue but they are things that I have come accross over the years in SL.

Bcreative Wilde wrote:

There could be many reasons for this. Some could be on your side or some could be on the persons streamings end.

1. Laggy sims in SL can cause this  issue as well as listening to it though the SL browser. Have you tried listening to the URL through a player outside of SL? You should be able to get the land URL from the land info/about land tab for sound/ Music URL. If you listen to it in an alternative player like winamp and there is no issue then it is SL being evil to you.

On few occasions it has happened to me when I have been in live concert that the sound via viewer has had some problems (distortion, echo, skipping).  Then the same stream played via Winamp has been good without any problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.