Meshing from 3d max...

angels Kristan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi i have been a mesh creator for almost 3 years now and i decide to enter and star to uploading my work here on sl... of course im kind a new in this...cause its a diferent system.. i have upload 3 mesh but now i get an uploading mesh...

i always export on .dae, my question is... (i just read some post..and this came to my mind) in 3d max,the mesh must have one material?

as far i understand we texturise the mesh with our uvmap, so we are only going to need 1 material id? thankss for taking your time and read my question.

One or more objects in the scene has local axes that are not perpendicular to each other (non-orthogonal).
The FBX plug-in only supports orthogonal (or perpendicular) axes and will not correctly import or export any transformations that involve non-perpendicular local axes.
This can create an inaccurate appearance with the affected objects:
    -Torus005
    -Object006

does anyone know what this meansss?...

SL supports 8 "faces" per mesh. This means your mesh can have 8 different material ID's in 3ds max. All of those can have their own UV map, but you can also make a single UV map for all of them. It really depends on how you want to use them. Normally You'd use 8 UV maps, so you can apply 8 textures, but in some cases you might want to use one texture where some parts are glowing and some parts are shiny or some parts can be made invisible by script, then one UV map for all ID's can work.

The local axis of objects being different won't always make a (visible) difference. If the local axis of the object in 3ds max doesn't match the global axis, the object will be rotated in SL. Then in SL you can rotate it back in most cases. The problem occurs mainly if your different LoD models don't have matching axes, since you can't rotate the individual LoD models in SL. You can reset the local axis in 3ds max before export by applying an XForm modifier or using the Reset XForm in the utilities panel. This will also get rid of any local scale or mirroring (which results in negative volume). Alternatively you can make a new primitive, attach the other objects to it, then removing the faces from the new primitive again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.