Little question about music streaming

Kristofkeuh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong section please move it :matte-motes-little-laugh:

I want to start a small club and i found a building I really love with 2 floors. now my question is can I use 2 different music streams in the build 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. I want an amazing friend of mine to have the groundfloor and have a sort of music room with another genre that this person likes. Cause this person helped me so much in hard times and I want to suprise this person.

Anybody knows? :heart:

Ty 

You problably need help from the landlord if you want to subdivide.  You probably can set the music stream where you rent.

Open the "About land" window and try. See these articles. 

Streaming audio in Second Life.  Shoutcast.   Music stream to your land. 2012

About Land Window 2012

If you can't set the stream, ask your landlord.

If you can Rez a prim, you can use a BOP.  You will have to find a web page that plays the music you want.  

V3.2 Be sure to see the BOPs in Second Life

Here are instructions on setting up a BOP:

Browser on prim, advanced. Videos, calendars 2012

You should just need the quickie method

TKR

There are really three different ways to stream music in SL. Two of them (audio and media) are parcel-based, and for those, if a scripted object is used to set the stream, that object must be owned by the parcel owner--and if the land is group-owned, so should be the stream controller. (It's very common for landlords to either provide such scripted devices with their rentals, or otherwise help the tenant get it set up.)

In contrast, as Thinkerer mentions, Shared Media (or "media / browser on a prim") is object-based, so it will work regardless of who owns the parcel, and you can have multiple of these on the same parcel.

Returning for a moment to parcel media, unlike parcel audio, it is possible to have multiple media streams on the same parcel, up to one each per agent ("avatar") on the parcel, and those media streams can be audio-only (or video, or web). The trick for doing that is to use PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_AGENT in the script that determines which stream goes to which agent. So, you may see this in stacked rentals that share the same parcel, where the script presents different streams depending on what level it finds the agent.

Now, the downside of any of these is privacy of the listener: all these streams are delivered directly from the source to the viewer's IP address (not through Second Life servers), so whoever sources the stream can know the IP address of each listener. All sorts of nasty things can result, most notoriously, figuring out who is alt of whom (with some probability). Hence, many people are quite hesitant to accept stream connections. Audio and parcel-wide media streams are somewhat less likely to reliably associate an avatar with an IP address; agent-specific media and shared media are pretty infallible (caveat that IP addresses are not necessarily static nor unique).

I realize that's more than you want to know. The point is, it is possible to do this; it is also possible to get some negative reactions from visitors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.