3DSmax Rigging Top Deformation when Uploading

RyuichiRaiden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys. So I've rigged my clothes to body parts in 3DSMAX. It flows pretty well when moving the joints. I exported selection, added all the bones via a C++ Bone fixer script that adds the names to the .DAE file. But now I'm stuck. Everytime I upload the mesh, it completely distorts itself.

Going from this Top before clicking Skin Weights

To this

Top after Skin Weighting

I've Weighted the objects to bones, but I dont know what 'skinning' is.. .Perhaps this is what I am doing wrong? After I weighted sections to the bones. Please help! :( Thanks in Advance

I'd say either your skeleton has some odd transformations (rotation/scale) or the bonefixer you used didn't add bones, but replaced them in the dae file. In that case the order of the bones could be messed up.

What you can do to check this, is comparing the dae you exported from max and the one produced by the script. The bones in the second dae file should be in the same order as the ones in the original file. They should also be the first in the list.

Skin weighting is assigning values to a single vertex which determine how much influence different bones have on that vertex. The total weight should be exactly 1.0 for every vertex on your model. There's also a limit on how many bones can influence a vertex, From the top of my head four bones, but I'm not 100% sure.

It could still be a transform issue. I don't know if this well known mesh maker knows what he or she is doing or if they even use 3ds max. If the skeleton was made for Blender, chances are the skeleton is rotated the wrong way, it should face into the positive x direction. It could also be your unit settings, SL likes meters. I don't know how you imported the skeleton into 3ds max. When using the SLAv plugin, you can make mistakes for example.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.