Where to go from here 3DSMax Rigged Tanktop

RyuichiRaiden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, I hate to be a complete and utter idiot but I've looked at various different tutorials. I've gotten to this stage.

I made a Mesh Tanktop through Marvelous Designer put a texture onto it, Took it into mudbox to add more details, Put it into 3DSMax and now I'm stuck. I have Male_Avatar_XS. But from here I have no clue how to 'rig it' to the skeleton or what to do with the bones at all. I have all the bones SL has, the tanktop is matched to the avatar (taking Alpha layers in consideration) And now I'm stumped. Whenever I export it it eitherr comes with the model or not rigged to a skeleton.

Screenshot of where I am at

I have no idea where to go from here and I've looked at blender tutorials but they don't really help! I would like to know how to attach it to the 'bones' and make the object rigged so it moves with the avatar, and how to export it (either just export selection with the tank top or with the model too) and how to 'weight' it. Thank you so much in advance! <3

If your model is rigged in 3ds max, the most obvious two things are these:

- Your dae file doesn't have all the bones specified

- If your file does have all the bones, you possibly forgot to check the weights option in the uploader.

(there's one for preview and one for actual upload)

In the wiki there are a couple of ways described how to fix the first issue, the second doesn't need any extra info I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!
Im not sure if your still looking for answers for this or not but maybe this will help others in the future!
I was having the same problem as you just a few days ago and happened to stumble upon this Gem of a Video!

This video shows you exactly how to rig your mesh and how to export/ import it as well. 
The name of the Video is: "Rigging in 3DS Max for Second Life - Tutorial"
Rigging in 3DS Max for Second Life - Tutorial

Here is the SLAV plug-in as well if you are in need of the Body's and bones get the bones.
http://wiz-bg.blogspot.com/p/slav-3ds-max.html

I know the video shows how to do it for a full avatar but it works the exact same for clothing.
Make sure you pay attention to the end where he shows you how to add the rest of the bones you do not actually need. Also. Make sure you use all 26 bones correctly named. Banged my head against the wall a few times before I realized I missed a few.

There are other ways to add the weights like painting and such but I find this to be a great way to start out!

*TIP* If you do use the  SLAV Plug-in make sure you only rig using the bones scaled to "1". The default is 40.0 in order to create the mesh clothing but when rigging the Mesh for export everything needs to be scaled down to "1". If you do not then you will have a Giant with a stick monster body.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.