Do object link size limitations vary by sim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I built a large structure in a sandbox, I was able to link all the pieces together with no issues.  In fact I was kinda surprised, because the building part was a bit big.

Then, when I rented some land, In noticed that if I unlinked 1 object and tried to link it back, I got the dreaded and all hateful "unable to link any pieces together" message.

I was curious if certain land owners had the ability to set how far prims could and could not be to link versus if it was a standard Linden Labs rule...and an aggravating one at that.

Perhaps i'm doing something wrong?  Is there a primary object that I need to use to link everything around it within a radius?

I'll tell you what I wouldn't mind and would probably pay 100,000 Lindens for.  An auto Rezzer that automatically links pieces together and packages it for you.  Maybe there's a nice gadget out there I don't know about to make my life easier besides the average Rezzer?

When your sometimes building the kind of structures I am, with intricate insides, linking objects together can turn into an all day affair.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just a mini update - I just discovered right click > Show in Linksets > Select All...

This allows me to select everything all at once.  This will save many hours of going through and selecting each object one by one.  Obviously, I can't link them all together, but can I do something with a Rezzer to take all of this at once?

There is no difference between sims in what you are able to link together.  However linking is not just about distance.  You should find this information helpful which gives you the linking 'rules' currently used.

All rezzers work the same way to my knowledge.  You have to put a script into each link set and then put the set in the rez box after the position and rotation is recorded.  There is no way a script can take something and put it in the box for you.  There just isn't scripting support for that.  Some rezzers only work for builds up to 96meters, where some work sim wide.  Its a matter of personal preference and what your needs are.  I use both types.  One for for when I create just individual buildings.  The latter for when I build an entire sim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The current Linking Rules page that you mention actually does make it sound like the new rules are truly all about distance!  So in what ways do they include factors other than distance (beyond the number of prims, of course)?

FYI, I just started to teach a new class [ at the Happy Hippo Building School's new "Second Life Institute of Architecture and Design" ] about "Smashing SL's LInk Distance LImit" (without resorting to scripts). And old factors like prim size do appear to not relate any more. But... just like the OP... I've also found that I can link prims whose centers are separated by much more than 54 meters, without using the special building techniques I teach in that class. So I'm very interested to hear if factors other than those mentioned on that Linking Rules page apply!

:smileysurprised:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.