=/ My Second life keeps crashing.....

Smilez4Mee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using Catznip

When i log onto secondlife after about 15 minutes i freeze and then crash. When that happens i am not able to pull anything up on my web browser, it says page cannot be found, so i have to end up restarting my computer. Ive tried  switching secondlife viewers but it still does it. Ive cleared my cache. and the problem persists. Everything was fine and it wasnt doing that until about 4 days ago. When im not on second life, my pc runs fine with no problems. Idk what to do, please help. Also this is my pc information

Second Life 3.4.4 (268864) Jan 10 2013 04:16:34 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4050e   (1800 MHz)
Memory: 3838 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 9200/integrated/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.0697
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

Its sooooooooo frustrating!!!!! and its gettin hard to run my business up here because of the crashing

!5 minutes?  That sure sounds like somthing getting hot.  And that little issue about your browser refusing to open web pages until a system restart re-enforces that possibility.  When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer case?  Dust and pet hair will clog up the heat exchangers for your hardwarre and, of course, the ventlation openings themselves (not getting the proper air flow through the case will allow everything to get hotter than they should get.  That would be the first order of business......clean your computer case.

Now here comes the part you are probably not going to like much at all.  Your graphics processor is not a very strong one (it was released about 4 years ago as a low end intergrated processor for basic graphics.......it never was designed for a program like SL and the immersive 3D environment that SL is).  Attempting to run SL at even medium settings with the SL Viewer 3 is pushing that IGP beyond what it is really capable to doing......and that will, in addition to dust, cause excessive heating on the chipset.  And then there's another sad fact you have to face.  You say this has been going on for 4 days and that you've discovered that the problem persists after clearing your cache and trying different viewers.....all with the same results (crashing after a few minutes of use).  That means, if it is a heating problem (which I think it is), that you have overheated whatever it is that is getting too hot more than just a few times........possibly a half dozen or more.  Each time a hardware device reaches it's upper heat threshold (that's when you crash) it gets a little bit of damage.  That damage will not heal itself but it will get progressively worse as time goes on until it fails completely.  When it fails it's going to be impossible for you to boot your computer up.......you're computer is dead.

You can Google for hardware monitoring software........there are plenty of good free ones at CNET's Download.com.  Get one and install it.........monitor the temps of your critical hardware components (the big three in order of importance for SL are your graphics processor, your CPU and your hard drive).  The hard drive will probably not heat up much unless your case is severely clogged up with dust.  The CPU and GPU will heat up even in a clean computer case.......but no where near the heat threshold.  Most CPU's and GPU's have an upper threshold of 105 Celius.......anything above about 90 C is reason to investigate.  And I'm not sure the intergrated nVidia 9200 chipset has monitoring capabilities so you wouldn't know if it's getting hot or not.  Plus if the damage has happened like I think it probably has, that heat threshold could be much lower than the typical 105 C (like maybe 90 C or even lower).

You're probably looking at replacing your computer.  Or, at least your graphics processor and/or CPU.  It's likely that doing that is not cost effective.  But you have a problem that is not going to get better (even if you stop using SL completely).  It's going to fail on you........and I would say it's going to do that in the near future.

You on laptop it sounds like. And while the specs of your system are a  bit on the low side it should run SL sufficiently enough. So ruling your machine out as main culprit you should nevertheless beef it up a bit with more RAM. And of course CLEAN that thing!!! Desktops need every 6 months, laptops every 3 months, a good cleaning. Dusty innards of a computer can cause serious overheating problems. Would be a good idea to place your lappy on a cooling pad and give it enough room to breathe. Also cleanse your OS, software like TuneUp Utilities works wonders to make your system run leaner and faster and with less problems. And what you should always do is to close all non-essential programs running on your machine: while logged in SL there is no need to also have a web bowser or office software running at the same time. It all eats into your valuable and scarce system resources.

If you really wanna get nerdy get rid of that stupid Vista. It was a dud OS like unfortunately every second Windows is by nature. Install a free and modern Linux (Mint or Ubuntu come highly recommended). Enjoy a super easy desktop of your choice, enjoy a **bleep**load of very capable software coming with the OS (all open source of course) and enjoy all the upgrades wiith a single mouseclick and be the coolest kid on the block.

EDIT: what Peggy said!

Didn't notice your GPU is of the integrated (not intergrated, tssk tssk) kind. So, yes, even after driving your compy thru the carwash I guess its days are counted anyway.

"...

Didn't notice your GPU is of the integrated (not intergrated, tssk tssk)..."

----------------------------------------

You know I make that mistake almost every time I type that word.......it must be the way I pronounce it (I'm just one of those born in the backwood hills rednecks).  I do know the correct spelling but it's one of those words that I have to think about....another word that I need to be careful with is environment (and not invironment).  Thanks for the correction.  I really should run the spell check more often (I just wish there was a way to pick up the mistakes like left out words or typing the same word twice or typing words out of order........proper spelling but wrong sentence structure and left out words, to me, are much more embarrassing than a misspelled word).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.