Testing Sim

Rihanna Irata

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey hey :P

So ive been building my sim for past 2-3months now, and im getting close to finishing it and opening it but what im really consored about is lag.

Time to time i get small lag spikes when i move which im not sure if its from my own internet or its my sim, so i constantly monitor the statistics window, it seem okey most of the time its around 45.

My question is, is there a way to test my sim on how would it react with several avatars? maybe theres some script that imitates avatar?

What does script info really tell me? Sofar ive been using 279997kb memory, which im not sure what is, and when i check top scripts , it says im using 973 scripts which uses total of 3.9ms. Is that okey?

I was traveling aroudn to check otther sims and one sim that uses the same idea as me is alot more scripted and primmed but it seems to be running smoother with several av's on. Can it be that its becouse that sim barly uses any mesh? does mesh create more lag than sculptys or normal prims?

What ells can creat lag?

I know about av themself with huds and stuff. Once i frend visited my sim, it was only him and me and once he camd fps dropt to 31, i check the top script and it was showing that he is using 0,450 script time, so i assum thats alot?

Be sure you are using scripts that are as efficient as possible.  Two scripters can write scripts that do the same thing and yet one takes a lot more server time than the other.  Eliminate or at least limit scripts that scan frequently or that continually run.  Also scripts that listen for commands should be written so the listener is shut off when not in use or eliminated all together by using scripts with linked messages instead.

Aside from scripts, textures can be the culprit of a lot of client side lag.  Using high resolution textures or a lot of them can cause this.  Generally there is lag as the sim loads but once it does, it should decrease.  Of course if your draw distance is set lower than 256 then parts of the sim will be loading for you as you move around it.  Eliminate any textures you used that are larger than 512x512, and use as many lower resolution textures (256x256) as you can.  Also it is better to repeat them as much as you can rather than use different ones.  For example, if you have landscaping consisting of 30 different trees, change it to repeat the same tree as much as you can.

The best way to test how a sim performs with a number of avatars, is to actually have that many on the sim.  One way to do that is run a pile on test and invite all your friends and their friends to tp there until you reach the max capacity.  Encourage them to deck out their avatars too when you do this.  I don't know of any other way to test this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.