Possible Exploit?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over the last few weeks I have seen a few times now avatars coming onto my home sim with the name (???.???) when i try to open their profile, it gives a 404 error.

Most of the times i have seen an avatar with this name i usually receive spam from them advertising some store.

Also a few times now, non-friends have been able to start conference calls with me, (and no-one in the call is my friend either). It is my understanding that you can open a conference call with people on your friends list.

Any idea's what is going on?

I think it could be users using the CHUI Project viewer.. This is a new communications enriched viewer that The lab will soon release.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/The-Communications-Hub-User-Interface-CHUI-Launches-Today/ba-p/1708805

CHUI also makes it easier to move your voice connection among your open conversations, including nearby chat, private IM, conference chat or group chat. Click the “add voice” button on any conversation to move your voice connection to that conversation. Click the “hang up” button and your voice connection is returned to nearby chat.

Normally the  (???.???)  is an indication that the SL servers are not sending you proper name info. It may be a bug in the CHUI viewer

I doubt this is an exploit

mischief Goldshark wrote:

Over the last few weeks I have seen a few times now avatars coming onto my home sim with the name (???.???) when i try to open their profile, it gives a 404 error.

Most of the times i have seen an avatar with this name i usually receive spam from them advertising some store.

Also a few times now, non-friends have been able to start conference calls with me, (and no-one in the call is my friend either). It is my understanding that you can open a conference call with people on your friends list.

Any idea's what is going on?

If you're in a group with someoen they can open the group conference call too. If you're not paying close attention when the thingy pops up, it looks the same as any other notice that a call is coming in.

The ??? thing happens a lot, and can happen on any viewer. It just means the account info isn't being sent to the server/your system properly. I've seen it in almost every viewer I've used at one point or another.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.