Timer script screws up on region crossing.

Carbon Philter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can anyone suggest a solution for the following -

I set up a scripted projectile and rezzed it with llSetImpulse to get it moving with a timer and llDie so that it would delete after travelling a set distance. Works fine as long as within one sim but if it travels across a sim boundary the timer either stops or stuffs up and the projectile just travels on indefinitely.

From the wiki I believe I could set up something using llEdgeOfWorld to detect the boundary but I would then need the projectile to work out how long it has to travel in the enjoining sim before llDie activates.

Is it possible or has the projectile lost all it's scripted properties when it crosses the region boundary and so won't react to any new commands to die? The only other solution I can think of would be setting it initially to temp and relying on that as the way to get rid of it - as long as that property is retained when the prim crosses the boundary.

Suggestions gratefully received.

C

The only reason for a timer to stop would be when an object enters a parcel on which scripts are disabled, which is a landowner option. The obvious solution would be to set the object to temp. However in one of my projects I've encountered a situation where slow moving objects set to temp do not die when attempting to cross into scripts-disabled parcel but instead stay on the border. I was told that was a long time LL bug. I do not know if may apply to fast moving objects, like bullets, etc. So far I haven't seen it happening.

Thanks for comment, Ela.

It's not to do with a script disabled sim from further checks.

I guess there's differences between the RC server sims as after reading your post I went off to Sandbox Exemplar and tried running the projectile across the region boundary there. Although there was a bit of rubber banding it worked as it should.

To do the initial build I've been sitting in my home sim which is running on Blue Steel and firing the projectiles across into a LL ocean sim which is on Le Tigre server, and there the projectile just keeps running and hits the far edge of the water sim and just sits there - no die, even if set to temp, until I go close and try to select it to edit and then it just poofs.

Maybe I should be making a comment to LL about this as an issue with their RC server developments.

Anyway, thanks again, Ela.

Carbon Philter wrote:

To do the initial build I've been sitting in my home sim which is running on Blue Steel and firing the projectiles across into a LL ocean sim which is on Le Tigre server, and there the projectile just keeps running and hits the far edge of the water sim and just sits there - no die, even if set to temp, until I go close and try to select it to edit and then it just poofs.

this is a client side effect. it a ghost. the click edit poof effect is the giveaway

it has been been script delete/fie on the server. another person viewing the same projectile at the same time will see it disappear as it should. depending on their view angle and state of their cache

one way can test for these kinds of effects is to put a chat/im broadcast script in the bullet. if it stops broadcasting and you can still see it then is defo a ghost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.