Missing Lost Inventory Potential Solution

LadyFandango

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Morning everyone, I received this group notice awhile back but I thought it might help someone and I thought I would post it here in the forums.  She doesn't mention which viewer she is using but it seems like it would work for any of them.   :smileyhappy:

Credit goes to Shila Szondi of Simply Shila's

"Lost Inventory? 

I have lost a ton of stuff recently and it is because the object folder was full, as I have been deleting items from there, missing items are returning.  If you also are losing things, move stuff out of the objects folder to other folders, clear cache, and relog. 

In doing this, my intan couple dance is back, along with my two prim babies...  it really does work."

LadyFandango wrote:

Morning everyone, I received this group notice awhile back but I thought it might help someone and I thought I would post it here in the forums.  She doesn't mention which viewer she is using but it seems like it would work for any of them.   :smileyhappy:

Credit goes to Shila Szondi of Simply Shila's

"Lost Inventory? 

I have lost a ton of stuff recently and it is because the object folder was full, as I have been deleting items from there, missing items are returning.  If you also are losing things, move stuff out of the objects folder to other folders, clear cache, and relog. 

In doing this, my intan couple dance is back, along with my two prim babies...  it really does work."

I'm glad this worked for you.

I also find it very interesting because there is no PUBLISHED limit in the Wiki stating any inventory limits.

And while I can't dig out any other threads ATM, the question about a limit has been asked before.

Can you even give us an rough estimate of how many  items you may have in your Objects folder?

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

The limit is about 10,000 items in a single folder. If you go over that limit nothing is lost, it just isn't fetched from the inventory server so you don't see it in your local cache.

Not questioning your answer but do you know of any documentation for this?

It's not a hard limit on number of items, more of what will fit in a single transfer through the server pipeline without choking everything else. The current system sends inventory data a folder at a time, that's why the limit is per folder.

You can read more about it in this old office hour transcript. Stone Linden's comments inparticular will be of the most interest, Note that he's talking about "ballpark" ranges. Inventory items can vary a lot in how much data is packed into each entry.

But the short version is, if you have thousands of items in a single folder, it's really, really time to start splitting that into subfolders, It's going to be hard to even find anything when it gets that far out of control!

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

It's not a hard limit on number of items, more of what will fit in a single transfer through the server pipeline without choking everything else. The current system sends inventory data a folder at a time, that's why the limit is per folder.

You can read more about it in
. Stone Linden's comments inparticular will be of the most interest, Note that he's talking about "ballpark" ranges. Inventory items can vary a lot in how much data is packed into each entry.

But the short version is, if you have thousands of items in a single folder, it's really, really time to start splitting that into subfolders, It's going to be hard to even find anything when it gets that far out of control!

Thank you.  I added a note to the Wiki: Limits  under Inventory.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.