Firestorm quit unexpectedly, won't start on ANY viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a Mac (OS 10.5.8, so yes, I'm behind a bit.) user and I had been able to use Firestorm until last night when the sim I was in either crashed or restarted, and then Firestorm had it's major update, so I figured I might as well grab it while I was offline. I installed it over the former version, and found I couldn't launch it. I keep getting the "Application has quit unexpectedly" message, so I decided to try to restart. No avail. Clean install? Nothing. Deleted every trace of SL from my computer? Nada. I can't get a single viewer, third party or not, to run on my computer, and I have no idea why.

I'm a paid member, so it would be cool to, you know, get on and get a use out of what I'm paying for...

Evangeline Fiertze wrote:

I installed it over the former version, and found I couldn't launch it.

With just about every Firestorm release, they seem to make a point about telling people (on their blog) that a clean install is important.

IMPORTANT:Because of the many skin and settings changes/improvements/adjustments we've made it is especially important that you perform a clean install of this build.

I can't get a single viewer, third party or not, to run on my computer, and I have no idea why.

What's happening when you try? Crash? Hang? Error message(s)?

I'm having this EXACT same issue, and all various attempts mentioned by the original poster are ones I have tried, as well, to no avail. What the cause, this is extremely frustrating, and I've no idea what to do or how to fix it. I, too, am running it on a Mac OS X 10.5.8. It couldn't be the 5.8, could it? Any upgrade, as far as I know, is only obtainable through purchase (versus auto-update), so I personally doubt it's to do with 5.8. I've searched and searched for answers and have only reached dead ends. 

When I try to load the viewer, the application icon bounces for a while before the following message pops up: 

"The application Firestorm-Release quit unexpectedly.

Mac OS X and other applications are not affected.

Click Relaunch to lauch the application again. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple."

Nothing works, though. Ignore does nothing. Report tells me nothing. Relaunch repeats the fruitless process. 

Tayler Rhiadra wrote:

I, too, am running it on a Mac OS X 10.5.8. It couldn't be the 5.8, could it?

It could be. The minimum requirement for the current LL viewer is 10.6 now, and Firestorm is based on that same code, so you may have hit a brick wall for updates until you can upgrade OS X.

(SL 3.3.4 was the last LL version that supported Leopard.)

I don't think you guys are quite understanding. I tried reinstalling over the previous version, then I did a completely CLEAN reinstall. Not a single viewer, old or new, will start. I keep getting the same message for all of them.

Edit:

Here's the message from the error report, for those who might know more about the topic.

"Dyld Error Message:

Symbol not found: __ZNKSt9bad_alloc4whatEv
Referenced from: /Applications/Firestorm-Release.app/Contents/MacOS/Firestorm
Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib"

You have not said what "old or new" versions you tried to run. It matters.

You should not expect anything newer than these to run on OS X 10.5 --

Second Life Viewer 3.3.4, which can be downloaded from this page

Firestorm 4.2.2, which can be downloaded from this page

See also http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-8431

Adding -- To explain a little more, "Symbol not found: __ZNKSt9bad_alloc4whatEv" means that the viewer is expecting a newer version of libc++ than the one installed on your operating system. Yours is too old, and missing newer features the viewer needs to run. On a Mac, the remedy for that is a new version of OS X.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.