Uploader Options

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I understand the by lowering the triangles and vertex count that land impact can go down. But with fairly simple items it seems like the two closest viewing values (the top two in the list) can be equal with no increase in land impact). So typically I have been uploading at a high number of triangles for the top two values, testing visually of course to see if there is a need and if it matters.

So is there a technical reason that you would NOT want items to be viewable from a longer distance and as crisp as possible? Mine seem to load very quickly but sometimes there is a "triangle" lag or a sticky one. I noted a very nice build on the sandbox today that completely fell apart at a fairly close distance. I realize that it maybe be an "inside" build and fit inside an enclosure, but was wondering in general if there were reasons NOT to make a high triangle limit. I am particularly talking about items that would be one to three land impact.

Thanks for any insights.

Thanks all. Seems like I have the right idea and that is good to know.  I usually only change the second distance from closes and make sure the whole thing doesn't break apart from a ways out. I understand the process behind making your own models rather than using the generated ones and may do that as things get more complex. Right now I am trying to make nice and simple things with a very low land impact. So far it seems to be working fine. Thank you for your input.

The download weight, which usually determines the Land Impact, is supposed to provide a resaonable approximation of the network and viewer resources that the object consumes. By doing that, it should encourage users to make an informed compromise between visual detail, including LOD behaviour, and available resources. Where the desirable point of that compromise lies is different for different people and it is your choice. It is worth bearing in mind that there will be other users looking at your stuff that may have less powerful machines and/or slower networks. Sometimes iot is the physics weight instead of the download weight that determines the Land Impact because it is the higher of the two, In such cases, lowering the visual quality will not affect Land Impact, although it wil affect actual resource consumption.

Chic Aeon wrote:

So is there a technical reason that you would NOT want items to be viewable from a longer distance and as crisp as possible?

There is no reason, even besides the technical ones not to have your items look as crisp as possible from any distance, (except for up close). The thing is, at a certain distance, lowering the polycount will not affect your "crispness" in any way. If you zoom out on an object so it is let's say 10x10 pixels, there's no need for it to have a whole lot of triangles. You just need to make sure you don't use more geometry than needed for a nice shape at any distance, for the reasons Drongle described.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.