Custom hat but cant texture

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have made a hat in Maya 2013. I have exported as DAE and uploaded to SL. It doesnt seem to take my texture with it. I did UV map it and all. I did read that it is more like linked then it is taken with it. So, I uploaded the texture it self. I can't figure out how to apply that texture to my object. I have spent a couple hours trying to figure out how by researching what others say online. Any ideas on what I am missing?

It could be as simple as a faulty exporter that loses the UV data. You should be able to texture your hat like any other object in SL. Just select the object and edit it, go to the texture tab and place your texture there.

I don't use Maya, but suspect the dae exporters are the same as the ones for 3ds max. 2013.0 and 2013.1 do not work. 2013.2 does so I guess 2013.3 (the latest) will aswell. Maybe you need an update. I never managed to upload model and texture combined btw, not that I tried very hard. I think it has got something to do with absolute and relative paths for the texture in the dae file. Uploading seperately works fine.

Autodesk FBX

Edit menu.PNG

You need to click on the texture tab as shown above, then click on the plywood square where it says "texture". You'll be able to pick any texture from your inventory then.

As for the exporter, 2011.3 is old news. You need it for pre-2012 versions of 3ds max and Maya. For 2012 you need the standalone converter with that version number.  All 2012 FBX versions and 2013.0 and 2013.1 don't work. I use 2013.2 without any issues. Anyway, as far as I know there is no 2011.3 exporter available for post-2011 versions of 3ds max and Maya.

There's a catch on material and object names in your scene though with 2013.2 (and 2013.3 I suppose), they can't contain any spaces or you'll get an error on upload. (Mind you this is all information for 3ds max, but I'm pretty sure it is exactly the same for Maya which uses the same exporters.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.