How Can I Active my lossless comprassion in upload window?

Julyanne Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

I've never seen an option for "lossless compression" in the upload window.  First off, any "compression" is going to entail some loss.......if it's compressed, it reduced in bit/byte size which means something is lost.  Second, any texture or image uploaded to SL is compressed.......every single texture or image is compressed to the JPEG2000 format.  You cannot avoid that compression as all formats (JPEG, BMP, PNG and TGA) are converted to the JPEG2000 format (and compressed at that point).  What you can avoid (and if you are concerned about texture/image quality you should do) by never saving any portion of your texture to a lossy format during it's creation or editing process.  Once you save it to a lossy format the quality is lost and there's not way to retrieve it.  Work in lossless formats from beginning to end.....JPEG is the only lossy format I listed so stay away from that format like the plague.  The format of choice for me is TGA......and my textures/images only encounter that single compression at upload (I can do no more to insure the best quality).

On the temporary texture upload I have no idea if you can still do that.  I know some TPV's had that capability (Phoenix?) but the official SL viewers never did.  I can understand if LL changed the server code to prevent temporary textures from being uploaded (server load ect) but, as far as I know, LL hasn't done so.

You can still upload temp textures with lossless compression using Firestorm (as of about an hour ago) so I suggest that you might want to switch to a third party viewer. If you are using Firestorm or another TPV that normally let's you upload temp textures with lossless compression (for me that is the default) then I have NO idea why this is happening. The official viewer has never let you upload temp textures to my knowledge. You can of course go to the beta grid if you can get in and upload to your heart's content :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.