SERIOUS Script Lag on Home Sim

Nano Starfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having severe script time problem at my home sim. It's gotten to the point where it takes a full minute for anything to so much as register that I clicked it.

I rezzed out a lag meter, and it says the region is completely fine. How to I stop this? I can't do anything in my own home!

That's not a lot of information to go on. Could you share the sim name? Or, if you don't want everybody showing up there, maybe choose a volunteer and send an IM?

I guess the first thing I'd do is look at the sim statistics (Control-Shift-1) with a modern viewer... something post-Pathfinding, like the current Linden v3.4., so I could look at the handy new "Scripts Run" percentage. If your assessment is right, that number would be low, instead of the 90+% that it is in an unloaded sim. Assuming that's indeed the problem, I'd look at the details of Time, to confirm that there's no Spare Time and that Script Time is using up almost all of the frame. And if that's indeed the case, then it's time to hunt for script "big spenders."

If this happens to be an Estate sim, you or some estate manager can look at Top Scripts and figure out which objects are contributing excessively to the script load. If it's Mainland... it's much more labor-intensive, but still possible, with the right script.

That's some progress, but it's still unclear whether the sim is Estate or Mainland, which determines what the next step should be. That's quite a large number of scripts running, though, so yeah, it's not too surprising that scripts are seriously lagging each other.

I wonder what's really going on in this region. I'd been expecting to see, maybe, some temp-rezzer blasting out scripted objects, which would make it much easier to find the culprit than what may be happening: just way, way too many little scripted objects, no one of which accounts for very much of the load.

Anyway, if it's a Mainland sim, just file a support ticket and explain what's happening, asking for help. In theory, you could file an AR for abuse of sim resources, but I think it will end up being the Land support team who ends up tracking down the problem anyway.

If it's Estate, you'd call in an Estate manager -- unless that's you, in which case you still might start with Top Scripts; if lucky, there may be a tractable number of overscripted objects to be returned -- and they could be anything; a bunch of old-school hyperscripted networked vendors or rent-boxes, for example. (If unlucky, it could be that "way too many little scripted objects" mess -- harder to find.)

Otherwise, I don't know how to help without taking a look first-hand.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.