Both Beta and regular viewer crashing,what to do?

LisaMarie McWinnie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying the lastest versions of both the Beta and the regular viewer,and both are giving me problems.

I have a 9500GT videocard,and I started to get very crashy after updating my beta viewer to the last version(there is an update for it now,and it keeps the same)and every few minutes I crash.

I tested the newest beta and I still have high crash rates.I tried the regular viewer and it continues.

I noticed that crashes happens when:

1- I teleport(not always) 

2- I move to fast/run

3- I move my camera too much.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (3200.04 MHz)
Memory: 8120 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 9500 GT/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.0623
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 3.2.0002.10426

Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/4,629 (0.0%)

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

Without knowing if you are WIndows or Mac based it makes it a bit hard to guess what might be wrong. Without driver versions there are even more possibilities to guess. 

The current Beta viewer (3-4-1-265642) and main release viewer (3-4-2-265141) have low crash rates. If you are seeing high crash rates it is likely something in your system. So, with no information on your system, we can't help much.

Having the same problem with SL Viewer and Firestorm.  Here's the info you mentioned: Second Life 3.4.0 (264911) Sep 19 2012 11:15:02 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ (2700 MHz)
Memory: 3454 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7521
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

Voice Server Version: Not Connected

Already updated all drivers. Restarted. Nothing helps.

Thanx for any information,

Ro

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (3200.04 MHz)
Memory: 8120 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit (Build 7600)
Graphics Card: GeForce 9500 GT/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.0623
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

Packets Lost: 0/4,629 (0.0%)

The Dev Viewer 3-4-2-265141 is very crashy. The Firestorm 4.2.2 is NOT crashy. It is the most stable viewer in use.

Ro Whitesong's GeForce 6150SE is a border line card. The 175.21 is a way old driver. I would expect problems.

LisaMarie's card (GeForce 9500 GT) and driver (306.23) should be good. I've just updated to 306.97. It fixed some non-SL problems I've had in Vista. But, I don't know if it will help your problem.

First try changing to the Beta Viewer version: 3-4-1-265642. It has a different memory manager. If that solves the problem then your issue is a memory conflict with another application running in Windows. One candidate is the Microsoft Skydrive. If you are using in-cloud storage that could be the problem. The beta viewer should work with it.

If that does not solve your problem... I suggest you get some free programs so we can see what is happening in your computer. Speedfan is a program that will show you fan speeds (Duh!) and chip temperatures. If you have an over heating problem, that program should show it.

Get System Explorer so you can see what the CPU is doing and whats happening with memory. There is a graph that shows memory use. You can see if memory is being consumed by the viewer or other program.

GPU-Z will show details of what is happening with the video card.

I am not using Win7 but I know it has an Event Viewer. You can start it and look to see what is actually failing. If it is something other than the SL viewer, you'll have to fix that and see if it fixes the viewer. Type EVENT VIEWER in the START field. Once the viewer is open look in Custom Views and Administrative Events. You will see various errors in red. Look at those. If they show the 'Faulting Application' as Second Life you need to move to the next step. But first, look for error just prior to the SL fail. It could be that messing up SL which then crashes in turn.

If it still looks like it is the viewer, look in the SL log to see what may have been reported as the crash cause. Look in: C:\Users\[win_login_name]]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\SecondLife.log. Start at the end of the file and work toward the beginning looking for errors and warnings. Those may give you an idea what is going wrong.

I suggest you consider updating your CPU and video card. You can get both from eBay. Look up what you motherboard will support. CPU-Z, not the same as GPU-Z, will give you motherboard information. In particular the socket information and mb brand and model. Look up what it will handle and get the hottest CPU with the max number of cores the mb will handle.

Consider your memory too. CPU-Z will tell you about it. Consider getting faster memory chips. You want the fastest the mb will handle.

On the video card, I like nVidia. 8800's and up will improve things. The 8800 and 9800 are getting old so they are cheap on eBay. The 60 series are good, so 260, 460, 560 and up are going to improve things too.

If you are not comfortable changing out the CPU, a local computer repair center will do it. You'll have to shop for the best service price. Be sure you see the computer run after the upgrade and before you take possession. 

You can do these upgrades one at a time or all at once.

Much of the equipment you want is old but they are selling new unused parts on eBay. I suppose these are coming from overstocked inventory. Whatever, you can take advantage of it.

I have the exact same problem and it has been getting worse. I think it is a memory leak. My disk drive is contanty caching when SL is running and I have 8 GB of memory. Sl is usually consuming 1.3 GB or more of main memory.

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (2793.07 MHz)
Memory: 8184 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1059
OpenGL Version: 4.1.10362 Compatibility Profile Context

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.