PROBLEMS GETTING SECOND LIFE TO START

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i just bought this computer so i could play second life this will be the only
thing on the comp

if im posting this in the wrong place im sorry please direct me to the right place thanks

DELL OptiPlex 745 MT Desktop PC Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz 2GB 80GB HDD Capacity Windows 7 Home Premium

i have upgraded the memory to 3.50 GB

this is an off lease computer and works great i have cable internet and get 20 MB or more at all times

i downloaded second life and all went well but when i go to start it i only get the first few things like "checking system" "loading second life" "detecting hardware" itnitializing VFS" then after that it trys to open but i only get a clear window and thats it:matte-motes-crying: wont close and wont finish loading :matte-motes-crying: i have to shut down to do anything else  anyone know what im doing wrong ?? could it be the settings in this off lease comp??  anyone know what i have to do to get second life to load?? many thanks in advance  and any help at all is welcome

datonamanmike Avon wrote:

i just bought this computer so i could play second life this will be the only

thing on the comp

if im posting this in the wrong place im sorry please direct me to the right place thanks

i have upgraded the memory to 3.50 GB

this is an off lease computer and works great i have cable internet and get 20 MB or more at all times

i downloaded second life and all went well but when i go to start it i only get the first few things like "checking system" "loading second life" "detecting hardware" itnitializing VFS" then after that it trys to open but i only get a clear window and thats it:matte-motes-crying: wont close and wont finish loading :matte-motes-crying: i have to shut down to do anything else  anyone know what im doing wrong ?? could it be the settings in this off lease comp??  anyone know what i have to do to get second life to load?? many thanks in advance  and any help at all is welcome

I did some brief googling for specifications and can't didn't find any info on the GPU.  I couldn't even see where it had a slot to add a GPU to it.

My guess is it has onboard graphics that may not be up to the task.  Have you tried Phoenix or Exodus Viewers.  It may take something lighter weight to work on this.

The ATI cards look to be options that would have been available when new - looks like the one in question has onboard Intel graphics, but should have an expansion slot good enough to put in a decent video card.

I'd suggest that the OP get an inexpensive dedicated video card. The Intel graphics are barely adequate on a current machine and the older processor and memory in this computer is just going to make things worse. Given that it's off-lease I wouldn't be surprised if the graphics drivers haven't been updated in a long time either.

It's not the greatest news, but as Theresa mentioned, you may be able to add a Graphic Card that will increase the performance.

I purchased a Graphic Card at a store called Best Buy. I called, they asked for the computer machine type, and told me what cards they had in stock.

The most popular cards were out of stock, I choose the next lowest priced card. (I didn't want to wait) It took about 30 minutes from start to finish to install.

Knowl Paine wrote:

I found this link

I think the PC has a either a 128mb ATI Radeon X1300 or a 256mb.

you dug further than me

as a way to keep costs down some of those business and school machines are built with no extra slots.  bare bone to the max.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.