help ping issues

pheinox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

You'll get long ping times if there is a local problem with your router or your ISP, or if there is a slow node somewhere on the Internet between you and the servers.  Here's one way to find out.....

If you are on a computer using Windows, click Start >>> cmd  (or Start >> Run if you are on XP) and then type tracert 216.82.14.12 where you are prompted for input and hit Enter.

If you are on a MAC, open Network Utilities, then select the Traceroute tab, or type traceroute 216.82.14.12 in the terminal.

Whichever way you do it, you should get a trace of the route that a signal takes between your computer and Linden Lab. (Actually, the IP address I gave you here is for my own sim in SL, but you can substitue the address for your own sim.  Look for it in Help >> About Second Life. The times should be the same, regardless.)   The times along the route should each be 100 msec or significantly less.  Mine are mostly in the range of 40 msec or less.  If there are much larger ones, or if the total ping time is more than 150 msec, you'll know where the problem is.   It you have an intermittent problem, you may need to do the test many times.

If the slow step is at the start (your own computer or ISP) you can focus your attention on your router or ask your ISP for help.  If it's anywhere else, all you can do is wait and hope that the Internet is just having a bad day.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.