Nothing is loading, advice would be appreciated

Trixi884

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

When I load up second life no textures are loading.. all i see is purple and black, everything from my avatar to the world around me doesnt load :( I have 2mpbs a second [ about 1800 kpbs ] and heard u only need bout 700 kpbs a second for rezzing. I have lowered all my settings, reset my router and upped my bandwidth and cache.. not sure what else to do.. I have a fairly new pc with decent ATI graphics..

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Something like tha happened to me a while back.  Turned out to be a failing router.  SL uses ports not commonly used by other software so the failure did not show up elsewhere.  

Test:

• Be sure your computer firewall is working.  
  • Bypass the router: connect your computer directly to your internet source (usually a modem). 

TKR

By "Purple and black", do you mean that you see the shapes of things but everything's colored a deep hot pink? That's a common issue with SL and some graphics card/driver/viewer combinations, especially with ATI cards. Search the forums and Google about this - there's lots of information and workarounds out there. You'll get more luck if you call the mystery color pink instead of purple. Updating video drivers often helps but ATI drivers are notoriously screwy and sometimes the very most recent ones aren't the best.

Thet did a rolling restart over the last few days. After several weeks of good fps and performance I saw this problem today when re logging. I use ATI graphics and know all the tricks seems suspect that the viewers were working well one minute then having massive problems or a re log. The same condition exists on my Nividia cards also  nothing quite like a rolling restart to make your day ))

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It is also important to tell us some of your history with SL. Is this a new problem? Is this you first login? Has it ever worked? Is it intermittent? 

This was a problem common to ATI video cards. If you are using ATI then It is likely the video drivers. Without information all we can do is guess.

The problem is caused by the video card failing to properly index the textures it is trying to display. Or other video texture loading failures. Failures can come from a number of problems in the driver or a video card failing... usually over heating. Also the video card may be inadequate for SL. Without knowing if SL ran well previously or has always done this, we can't make that assessment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.