Why is the timestamp in offline IMs sent via Email different than SLT ?

Jacob Neutron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 answers to this question

Thanks Valerie, but I am still confused. I live in Europe (Berlin-Paris time zone), and I received an IM via email sent to me at about 11:30 my time.

The time stamp showed "[09:30]" and the IM when logging on to SL, showed "2:30". Now I understand the latter (California, i.e., LL time) but I don't understand what causes the 2 hour difference.

I am in the UK, and this week, I also received an offline IM showing a one hour time difference. The next time I logged into my dashboard, I actually had a notification at the top of the screen saying my clock had not synchronized with something, and an option to click a box to fix this.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, just something the computer system/software does automatically - (maybe via Windows Updates?).

Regarding offline IMs coming into email, just use the real time on your email and minus the necessary number of hours to get the SL time, and if you're saving chatlogs, just remember to edit the timestamp when you cut and paste from email into saved documents.

Thanks Echo, you confirmed my guess (well at least partially). Any message sent to me (IM sent via email when I am offline), might go to a server in the UK, which is not in daylight saving time, and then that server puts the stamp, which in this case would be two hours behind for me. Now, I have only one doubt left. The person who sent the message lives in London and therefore the two hour behind could be explained as above. But what if a person lives in NYC? Would it still have the London, two hours behind timestamp, or would it have the a timestamp reflecting NYC time? In other words, the timestamp depends on the receiver or the sender ?

Sorry about all these questions, but I am intrigued by the technical "secrets" behind :)

Well, thanks Luc. Not so sure it is the receiver which adds the timestamp, since it is in the content of the email and not in the email details.

But it is a strange behavior indeed, starting with the server NOT in DST.

Anyway, thank you all for the replies :)

BTW, the system of posting "answers" and "comments" makes things a little hard to read. Just my 2 cents.

There's no need to be sorry for having an enquiring mind :D

I must admit, before you raised your question, I hadn't thought much about the timestamp difference. I think this is going to have to be your homework for tonight :)

Last week, I received a message from someonen who is on the same time zone as SL and there was an hour time difference in the time stamp. I'd thought it was down to daylight saving times, but they don't change for a while, and then I got that message on my dashboard about having to synchronize my times.

I'm sorry I can't give a straightforward and true answer on this one, but certainly, if anyone has been keeping emails of IMs sent from inworld, and knows the senders' time zone, that could be useful information to refer to, to solve this little mystery.

Ok, Echo, I did my homework. I checked other ims i have gotten via email, from people east and west. Funny, sometimes the time difference between the timestamp in the IM and the email timestamp is 9 hours (as it should be since it is the time difference between my RL time zone and California) and sometimes it is not that.

So, I don't think it is the receiver server who adds that timestamp in the IM, but the sender server. I guess it depends on "HOW" you are connecting to the grid.

I'll add that it's a stupid idea.  I get those same local time stamps in offline IMs that I read IN WORLD.  It'a a royal pain to try to translate that timestamp back into SLT and compare it with the current time...did the sender IM me a minute ago?  Or four hours ago?  Yeck.

I've added this to my list of things to take more notice of, Jacob :)

It can be good sometimes to make observations that may seem quite unimportant at first. I call it the "wax on, wax off" theory.

I hope you will also be a regular here on the forums. You have a curious mind, a willingness to learn, and a positive attitude.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.