Proper settings when having 2 or more viewers

Tamara Artis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use 2 viewers, Firestorm and Niran's. Use them with my 2 accounts, sometimes both online on different viewers, but there are no rules about what avatar goes on which viewer...

FS is instaled on C drive and Niran's on D, and their caches are also on those drives - separated (I believe I saw it somewhere that its a good thing to have them separated, but not sure).

FS has its default settings of 500kbps bandwith, Niran's (also default) at 10000kbps.

Fs cache is 2048MB, Niran's is 1024MB.

I want to do a clean install of both viewers, and Natales says that its a smart thing to have LL viewer installed. Well I never use it. Do I really need it?

And I have 2 tiny problems, but they are irritating! On FS, one wall inside my studio has a marketplace texture on it for over 2 weeks (on 2 floors!) , and on Niran's, just one of my hairs is broken and looks like I have a pile of wood on the head. 

I started with this http://blog.nalates.net/2011/02/22/second-life-clean-install/

And went through this http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall

any more infos/links greatly appreciated:)

I'm posting this because I didn't find infos about different default settings for more viewers and how to treat them. I did try, but there is no time and it seems like I'm seeing same things over and over in my search results... I wanted to clear cache but maybe I should remove both viewers, delete all files and do a clean install. I'm interested to know, should I put them on same drive and leave their default settings or I should change something. If so, what? Btw, besides those broken things, both viewers work fine but Niran's has better performance in large crowd.

Thanks in advance!

Tamara Artis wrote:

I use 2 viewers, Firestorm and Niran's. Use them with my 2 accounts, sometimes both online on different viewers, but there are no rules about what avatar goes on which viewer...

FS is instaled on C drive and Niran's on D, and their caches are also on those drives - separated (I believe I saw it somewhere that its a good thing to have them separated, but not sure).

FS has its default settings of 500kbps bandwith, Niran's (also default) at 10000kbps.

Fs cache is 2048MB, Niran's is 1024MB.

I want to do a clean install of both viewers, and Natales says that its a smart thing to have LL viewer installed. Well I never use it. Do I really need it?

And I have 2 tiny problems, but they are irritating! On FS, one wall inside my studio has a marketplace texture on it for over 2 weeks (on 2 floors!) , and on Niran's, just one of my hairs is broken and looks like I have a pile of wood on the head. 

I started with this 

And went through this 

any more infos/links greatly appreciated:)

I'm posting this because I didn't find infos about different default settings for more viewers and how to treat them. I did try, but there is no time and it seems like I'm seeing same things over and over in my search results... I wanted to clear cache but maybe I should remove both viewers, delete all files and do a clean install. I'm interested to know, should I put them on same drive and leave their default settings or I should change something. If so, what? Btw, besides those broken things, both viewers work fine but Niran's has better performance in large crowd.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tamara,

I can't help with FS as I don't use it but I do use Niran's and the LL viewer and usually have both installed. Niran's provides better performance for me as well as a huge range of viewer/graphics tweaks. I can't see how it matters what drive you have it on or why you would need the LL viewer as well. As you know, Niran's doesn't install like other viewers or register DLLs etc so to remove it, all you do is delete the Nirans folder in the x86 program folder and it won't affect any other installed viewer. However, quite often with new versions where he's tinkered with the Preferences panel or new graphics features etc, Niran requires a clean install or at least a removal of the existing settings files or the viewer may not work as intended. I know it's tedious to redo altered settings on his somewhat complicated Preferences panel (although simplified lately), it may be a good idea to do that if you haven't for some time. I just rename the user_settings folder to user_settings_old until I have it all set up right again. I also have a note of what settings to redo and what page they're on. Some, like the normal turn rather than his default can be tricky to locate.

Can't see how that would affect one of your hairs being blocky as you describe though. That issue is usually only seen on low graphics settings so surely would affect all. Check your Avatar and Object Quality settings anyway in Preferences > Graphics to ensure none are at Very Low or Low. I wonder if it is an alpha channel issue with that particular hair.

Can't see the point of his 10,000kbps as SL only uses 1500 max far as I know. I reset that to 1500.

Heya Nyll,

Yes I know how to do Niran's and I did change few versions with just deleting old folder. But that doesn't explain why only one of my hairs looks distored,others from same creator look fine hahaha. And I am on high settings usually. 

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to do clean install of both viewers:)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.