When I log onto my main account, the viewer crashes right after I hit "Log in"

Akira Voorhees

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

But, I can log on to my alt with out any problem at all, right after the viewer crashes on my main. 

I hit the login button and it just crashes....I don't even get to see my av.

Any ideas what could have caused this?  I just updated to the newr version, and found it crashed so I uninstalled it and went back to a downgraded version and still it crashes. I've restarted, and restarted, and restarted my computer, still nothing. I've also cleared cahe, did a clean wipe on my computer of all second life stuff.

Here are the specs from the sl viewer:

Second Life 3.3.4 (262321) Jul 24 2012 04:02:05 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor (2611.97 MHz)
Memory: 3072 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0012.8558
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

THANK YOU all for your time and responses to my question. Unfortunetly, none of this seemed to work.....I'm not sure what to do. I've even went and got a different viewer (phoenix, because I heard it was good and it might help), but alas, still no SL for me :(   If anyone has any other ideas that might help, I'm open to anything at this point.

Thank you again!

3 answers to this question

You don't have to ask your husband for the specs we need to help.  Launch your viewer but don't try to log in.  Under the help menu click "About Second Life".  The specs listed are all we need....copy and paste them back here.

Don't start a new thread.  Use the "Options" in the upper right corner of your post and "Edit" to add the specs and any other comments you might want to add.

Off the top of my head I'm going to guess you have a cache problem.  I would suggest a manual cache clearing instead of the regular clearing through the preferences.  To do that launch your veiwer again but don't bother to log in.  Under "Me" (assuming you are using SL Viewer 3.**) look on the tab that you use to clear you cache (V-3, that tab is "Advanced").  You'll see the location of the cache on your computer.  Make note of that location and close the viewer.  Navigate to that location on your computer and manually delete everything in the "Cache" folder.  Reboot your computer and then try SL again.

It appears you have more than one account on your computer.  It's a good idea to move the cache location of one of your accounts to a different location on your computer.  You can do that in Preferences on the same tab that you used to find your cache location.

• Like 1

Your nVidia driver is old 285.58, about mid 2011. The current driver is 301.42. It may help to update the driver. Be sure you have a copy of the older driver or know how to roll Windows back. Some times a computer has more problems with the new driver.

The new drivers are a bit more resistant to badly formed or overly complex mesh objects, which could be what is crashing you.

Another possibility comes up... the location your avatar is in, either 'home' or Last Location, may have a griefer object that crashes the viewer when it attempts t rez the area. I may also be something the avatar is wearing.

To check if it is the area, log into an area like Pooley or Furball. You can enable that ability in Preferences -> General by enabling Show Location -> Show at login. Then just type in a region name at login.

If it is an object attached to the avatar, you won't be able to escape it. Try turning your graphics settings all the way down. Before logging in set your graphics preferences to LOW. Then try logging in.

Without any error messages it is hard to know the cause, so we make some guesses. There are some things you can try. Try these things one at a time.

First and most important, reboot your computer after each crash. Any time you are having problems with the viewer and crashing reboot before trying your next fix. You have been doing that, so keep at it with each fix. Sorry it is time consuming.

Since it is a problem related to a specific avatar, try clearing avatar specific viewer settings.

1. Win7/Vista -Navigate to C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\[avatar_name]\
  2. Find the file: settings_per_account.xml
  3. Change its name or delete it.

If that does not fix the problem you can try deleting all the XML files in that folder.

If THAT doesn't fix it, try deleting the folder: Win7/Vista - C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\[avatar_name]\. Be warned that your chat logs are in the folder as TXT files. If you want them, move them to a safe place. If this fixes the problem, you can move them back one-by-one as it may be one of the chat logs causing the problem, unlikely but possible.

Next while it is an unlikely fix, try resetting the viewer settings to their default values.

1. Navigate to the user settings for the viewer.
  2.                 Win7/Vista: C:\Users\<win_login_id>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings
  3.                 Mac OSX: Users/Username/Library/Application Support/SecondLife//
  4. Find the file: settings.xml and rename or delete it.

Try installing the latest Development Viewer. This is a pre-beta version of Linden Lab’s viewer. SL Dev Viewer DL. See if it wll work. It installs in a separate folder so you can have the release viewer and the development viewer both installed without conflict.

If you still can’t in with your avatar, look in the Second Life log file: C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs.

Start from the end of the file and work your way toward the beginning. You are looking for errors. That text may give you a clue to the problem. If it is too geeky for you, post the error here or in a new thread.

I hope something here helps.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.