Pathfinding active.. sot of

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 years ago I made a training dummy that fights you, in its top levels it is very fast and almost impossible to kill, a year ago I made fighting drones that have a AI pilot and can fight and steer at 25 knots again when in full battle mode very hard to kill, these have a grid wide navigation program and are not restricted to a sim, when I heard of this pathfinding and they had a sim set up for us to try I visited it, I made a prim run around and watched others to, I found these very inferior to what I had done 4 years ago in hunting AV's and planning attacks with the simple fighting dummy, really a slow motion version of it, can't see how they would even come near the drone and be able to navigate the whole grid, I can't see what advantage this pathfinder stuff has, I love all the other bits, the castray, temp attach and teleport but can't see why I should use something that is inferior to things I made 4 years ago, still I suppose there must be a reason.

IT DOES HAVE AN EFFECT BELIEVE ME ...IVE COMPARED READINGS IN REGIONS WHERE PATHFINDING IS ON AND OFF...AND THE DIFFERENCE IS CONSIDERABLE. WHY DONT YOU TRY DOWNLOADING A USAGE METER AND TEST IT YOURSELF..

MAKE NO APOLOGIES FOR BLOCK CAPS. I CANT GET INTO SL BUT IM STILL PAYING MY TIER AND PREMIUM ACCOUNT AND BASICALLY IM FURIOUS.

Be nice for once if LL actually thoroughly tested these updates before rolling them out. And yes you can 'avoid' the problem by only visiting private islands, but when you pay a hefty tier for mainland, why should  you have to?

Be nice if Maestro or anyother linden made it known somewhere what they're doing.

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

IT DOES HAVE AN EFFECT BELIEVE ME ...IVE COMPARED READINGS IN REGIONS WHERE PATHFINDING IS ON AND OFF...AND THE DIFFERENCE IS CONSIDERABLE. WHY DONT YOU TRY DOWNLOADING A USAGE METER AND TEST IT YOURSELF..

I went back and checked on the group of private sims that have pathfinding turned off.  I can assure you that if I went to the SE or SW corners of a sim looking into other sims and cranked up my draw distance to anything over about 200 I got exactly the same huge spike in bandwidth (around ~1500 kbps) and the same flood of messages about LLWorld::addRegion: Add region with handle: and LLWorld::addRegion: Region exists, removing it that I'd been seeing on mainland pathfinding sims under similar circumstances.   The higher I took my draw distance, the worse it got.

Clearly turning off pathfinding on those sims has done nothing whatsoever to remedy the problem.

Well I tpd from one region that was affected to one where pathfinding has been shut off and the drop was immediately registered on my usage meter....

But I suggest everyone try it for themselves download a usage meter and go to a region on mainland watch the usage rocket then try a region where its turned off SHADY was the region I went to and I didnt turn south east south west or any other compass alignment.. I walked across SHADY as soon as tp'ing in and the difference was immediate...

but dont take my word for it...try it for yourselves...

TURN PATH FINDING OFF NOW...

:smileymad:

But it's not just a question of what region you're in -- it's where in the region you're standing, what your draw distance is, and  how many other regions you can see into.    So simply TP'ing into a region doesn't necessarily tell you anything.  

TP into the middle of a pathfinding sandbox with your draw distance set at 124 and you won't be affected either.    

Then start walking towards the SE or SW corner, keeping an eye on your bandwidth and with the debug console up, and you'll eventually see your bandwidth start to climb as you get spammed by hundreds of messages about either LLWorld::addRegion: Add region with handle:and LLWorld::addRegion: Region exists, removing it or ParcelOverlay reliable (which it is seems to depend on which server channel you're on -- there seems to be two separate but related bugs, one of which was around back in January, and was thought to be fixed then). 

Then repeat the experiment on a non-pathfinding sim that's got regions to the south.   You'll see exactly the same thing happen, I promise you.   

I'm sure the reason it doesn't seem to be so much of a problem on a non-pathfinding sim is that non-pathfinding sims will usually be private islands, and private islands are much less likely to have adjoining sims to the south (or if they do, there's not so many of them in draw distance).    

To double-check this, I also went to one of my sims that's standing all on its own, and has pathfinding turned on, and there was no problem at all, no matter where I was on the island or what my draw distance was, because there were no other sims for me to see into.

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

Well I tpd from one region that was affected to one where pathfinding has been shut off and the drop was immediately registered on my usage meter....

But I suggest everyone try it for themselves download a usage meter and go to a region on mainland watch the usage rocket then try a region where its turned off SHADY was the region I went to and I didnt turn south east south west or any other compass alignment.. I walked across SHADY as soon as tp'ing in and the difference was immediate...

but dont take my word for it...try it for yourselves...

TURN PATH FINDING OFF NOW...

:smileymad:

I have no need to try it for myself - I can take you at your word. You saw much lower bandwidth use on Shady.

BECAUSE SHADY HAS NO NEIGHBORS.

Just like my home region which has a consistendly low bandwidth despite having  pathfinding on and being on the benighted Magnum.

STILL UNABLE TO USE SL - THE MEGS PILE ON SECOND AFTER SECOND TO AN EXTENT WHERE I CANT STOP IN SL FOR FEAR OF RISKING MY OTHER INTERNET USAGE....

IN VIEW OF THE FACT I CAN NOT EVEN CONSIDER ENTERING SL WITHOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF INCURRING CHARGES FOR EXTRA USAGE BY MY ISP I HAVE SUBMITTED A TICKET REQUESTING A 50 % REDUCTION IN THIS MONTHS TIER PAYMENT...I SUGGEST ANYONE SIMILARLY AFFECTED NOW DO THE SAME.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.