When are texture permissions (and changes) applied within products?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I build a COPY product and ship it to a customer. 

- then I get a customer complaint that it wont copy

- I investigate and discover I forgot to set an uploaded texture to copy (darn I hate the no-perms defaults)

so, I change my inventory texture permissions. 

- I *assume* that has no effect on the customer, that changing perms creates a new asset copy with the new perms

- and that I must build and ship a new product version to the customer.

Variation (more uncertain)

- I build a product and during testing discover a no-copy texture and change it

- will that affect the texture in the product in my inventory?

- - i.e.. Is the texture perms (and texture UUID) only saved when the product is shipped?

- - or, as I suspect, must I edit the product and select that piece and re-select its texture to reapply the new perms texture?

- - is just editing the product enough to re-apply all textures (I think not),

- - or must I specifically do a texture select operation on the prim(s) with all the previously bad textures (I think so).

Restless Swords wrote:

- I *assume* that has no effect on the customer, that changing perms creates a new asset copy with the new perms

- and that I must build and ship a new product version to the customer.

Yes changing your inventory items doesn't change the ones others own. Update your item with the correct permissions and send it to your customer.

- I build a product and during testing discover a no-copy texture and change it

- will that affect the texture in the product in my inventory?

No, the item you have rezzed inworld is not the same as the one in your inventory.

- - i.e.. Is the texture perms (and texture UUID) only saved when the product is shipped?

No, the permissions are changed as soon as you erm..change them. The change will only affect the item you are changing though, changing something in your inventory won't affect something rezzed on the ground and it most certainly won't change items other people own. The next owner permissions are applied when the object has a next owner. There's a fundamental difference between that and what you suggest.

I think the texture UUID won't ever change, not even when you change the permissions.

- - or, as I suspect, must I edit the product and select that piece and re-select its texture to reapply the new perms texture?

Once applied to a prim, the permissions of the texture shouldn't make a difference. The permissions of the object do. If you put the texture in the object's content however, the permissions of the textures do make a difference.

- - is just editing the product enough to re-apply all textures (I think not),

- - or must I specifically do a texture select operation on the prim(s) with all the previously bad textures (I think so).

Again, the textures applied to an object don't have any permissions to begin with. I suspect you either have the permissions of the objects set the wrong way or you have something in the inventory of one of the objects with no copy permissions.

I strongly recommend to use a friend or if you feel you can't trust them with your creations or if they aren't online when you are, an alt. Ship the object you want to sell to them first to see the item the way a customer receives it. You will never have this issue again. It also prevents big time screwups like sending out full permission items you put a lot of time and efford into.

thx for mostly confirming what i figured.

however, i am pretty sure your comments about texture permissions not affecting objects is wrong.

- i have (a few times) accidently used a no-copy texture when building an object i wanted users to have as copy

- and then the resulting object is no-copy for them

- the only solution is to make the texture copy, re-apply it, and re-ship the result to the customer.

the above typically happens when i upload a texture into SL, since the SL defaults are no-copy no-mod.

As far as I know that can happen yes, but not if you put the already permissionless texture in your object, then sell it. What should happen then is you not being able to sell the object in the first place.

It can happen when you put such a texture in an object the other already owns, or a texture you made with the wrong permissions.

I just tried it to be 100% sure, if you texture a copyable prim with a selfmade texture set to no mod no copy (the upload default), then give it to someone else, it is perfectly copyable. This has been my experience for the past 6 years.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.