trent micro blocking sl

RavenmanSkwer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok this is odd  I cannot connect to sl on my wireless network but i can connect to sl when  the computer is connected to the cable modem why is that? I also have trend micro on my pc that is protecting my home wireless ect. So could trend micro be blocking sl

Becuase I go to the main pc that hook up to the modem than trend say do i wanna unblock sl and i click ok than i am able to connect, but than when i go on another computer which is a mac connected wirelessly via airport that when i cannot connect.

here is my set up upstair is a work pc connecting with the modem and has xp firewall on and the trend micro

downstair is an imac with airport and it connect to the internet wireless

now just to summarize I can connect to the pc with the modem it has trend micro

but when i go down stairs to my mac which is wireless it wont let me connect and i spoke to ll i am free from any bannings

i dont know what i should do if i should turn the trend or firewall off or both or is there someway i can all trend to keep that port open/. i dont know

4 answers to this question

Try this,

1) If using Vista or Windows 7 - Go to the Network & Sharing Center and make sure that your Network Type at each connection option is not set to Public. Make it Home or Work.

2) Uninstall and/or turn off Trend-Micro and try it again. You can always reinstall it with your license information.

3) Also know that some modem/routers used to include a Trend Micro firmware feature that integrates with the Trend Micros software on your PC or Mac. So NOT recommended.

I'm sure some of our Mac experts will be chiming in soon as well.

Here's what I understand about your network setup.  You have a PC with XP connected with an Ethernet cable (directly connected).  That PC is protected with Trend Micro anti-virus/spyware and you are using Windows Firewall.  That computer has no issues with SL.  You also have an iMac which is connected wirelessly.  You made no mention of any security software on the Mac (not a particularly good idea but many Mac users don't have anti-virus or anti-spyware on their machines.  It's also not firewalled.  You didn't say anything about a router (which is the usual method to connect more than one computer to a network) so I have to assume you either forgot to mention the router or you have a wirelss modem (I know they make them but I've never run into one myself).  Either way my comment is going to be the same.

You questioned whether or not Trend Micro could be at the root of the problem.  I'm going to say no.  The reason is Trend Micro is installed on the XP machine which has no problems with SL.  There is no way a program installed on a Windows machine can effect anything on a Mac (even if they are networked.....the Trend Micro security on the XP simply will not work on a Mac (you would need a Mac version installed on the Mac).  It's the same with the Windows Firewall........it won't work on a Mac so it won't effect anything on a Mac (not to mention the Windows Firewall for XP is very lightweight and probably wouldn't block SL at all).

I'm not familar with wireless modems but I am with wireless routers.  I would guess that modems are the same in this respect though.  Routers can be setup to block wireless connections and/or set up to block certain wireless ports.  Routers are actually hardware firewalls and they can be setup just as a software firewall can be setup.  And, I believe that is what you are up against.  It's the setup in your router (or modem if you don't have a router........but I really think you do and just forgot to mention it).  You'll have to check your manual for how to get into your configuration utility to setup up the router (or you can go online and download the manual for most routers).

The only other thing I think might be going on by the way you worded your post is that if you try SL on the XP machine and it is connected to the router, it won't work for SL either.  The only way you can get SL to work is to by pass the router and go directly to the modem.  If that's the case you probably could connect with the Mac if you connected directly to the modem with the cable.  Have you tried that?  If this is what's happening then your problem is the router's setup or your router is failing and needs to be replaced.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.