I'm having problem with rigging!(with printscreen)

LisaMarie McWinnie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,I am following this tutorial on how to rig the mesh model:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL11D6E99BB51A2BB2

In the part were she start testing the movements,my mesh doesn't work like that,Just the center moves with the avatar(and yet,the avatar can be seen depending on a drastic pose).The sleeves stand still,and the skirts looks weird if the leg moves.

I dunno if theres anything to do,but in the video she have 5 layers for the shirt,the first more detailed,and the last a box.I don't have the boc layer,and I am not sure if I did the right thing copying the object and leaving less suburf.

Sem título.png

Sem título2.pngSem título3.png

From the pictures, it doesn't look like you did any actual rigging.  It just looks like you parented the model to the skeleton, and called it a day.  That's not rigging.

You have bind the model to the skeleton, so the model becomes a skin, and then you must assign bone influnce values (weights) to the vertices of that skin.  Typically, the weights are painted onto the skin surface, with a brush-like tool.  Various colors of paint represent different degrees of influence.

I'm not about to wade through all 90+ minutes of the tutorial series you linked, to find at what point the author begins to cover how to paint weights.  What I will say is that weight painting is one of the most fundamental aspects of rigging, so it's got to be in there.  Most likely, there's more time spent on it than any other single topic.  To create a tutorial on rigging without thoroughly explaining weight painting would be like trying to teach someone how to drive a car without ever mentioning the steering wheel or the pedals.  It simply can't be done.

If that tutorial series does not in fact cover weight painting, then it's an inadequate tutorial, and you should follow a different one.  Note, you don't have to make your search SL-specific.  The same principles will apply when rigging any model for use in just about any realtime environment.  Learn the craft of rigging, itself, and then apply that knowledge to what you want to do in SL.  If you try to narrow the focus to just SL right off the bat, you limit your options.  There are literally millions of tutorials, books, videos, classes, etc., on rigging.  There are only a relative handful on 'rigging for SL'.

If I misinterpreted your pictures, and you did indeed bind the skin, and paint weights on it, but it's still not working, then please explain your process (as a list of steps), so we can try to pinpoint what went wrong. 

By the way, please don't just say, "I did what's in the video," or anything to that effect.  It's really not helpful when people do that.  Even if I'd seen the video (which I haven't, and I'm not going to), it still wouldn't tell me what YOU did or didn't do.  It would only tell me what the author wanted you to do.  I'd still end up asking you to list your process, like I just did. :)

It is very common to create the initial weights of a mesh item by copying (mapping)  them from the default SL avatar. In Blender 2.49 this function is available from Object -> Scripts -> Bone Weight Copy. In newer blender versions there is a free AddOn available for the same purpose. Google for "bone weight copy" without the hyphens. The first 2 entries are where you want to look at.

In this particular case i believe that the weight copy has not been done or not been done in the correct way so that not all weights have been copied. Please always remind that the Copy of bone weights never creates optimal results and it almost ever needs to be fixed manualy. So indeed weighting a mesh is more than pressing the copy button.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.