level of detail and rigged attachments

Fizz Savira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been trying to dig up information about how the four levels of details for an object are used when the object is a rigged attachment... So far, no luck :(

I'm wondering how many of those details are used, and when they are used. My simple testing in world is that often times they aren't used, and other times they seem to be used, but it's not clear what's going on. And of course, there are viewer bugs where an item gets stuck at the wrong LOD (usually after teleporting between sims).

help?

I always understood it the way Drongle explains it. However, like you, I have also noticed that the LODs do not seem to change that way. I figure, though, that it is probably a good idea to create the LODs regardless in case something changes in the future, and because I'm likely to save on upload costs if the LODs are good. :) (I also create a physics mesh even if I don't know if it's used for rigged attachments).

A few times I have also had the wrong LOD after tping. After camming in and out on the mesh a couple of times, it has sorted itself out.

- Luc -

I seem to recall reading something about a bug, whereby model size was taken into account in the LOD distance calculations, even though it shouldn't be.  People were using it to cheat the system, attaching gigantic models, so that the high LOD would carry to further distances.  I don't recall if this bug was ever fixed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.