Rigging details

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are still many details about rigging I still haven't quite wrapped my head around.

I came to ask for two problems:

First, a rigged mesh I did looks fine in blender, but after uploead onto SL and attachment to the avatr, I noiced some of the ends of the mesh are spiked. It seems some vertices got moved after rigging but it looks perfectly fine in blender. What happened and how to fix it?

Second: I'm using for the firsttime the standard size avatars to create different sized meshes for my shop. I used the default avatar proportions to make all the modeling and I rigged to because I wanted to check if it worked and looked properly inside SL. So the mesh is rigged now. My plan was to make duplicated of the mesh and scale them acordingly to fit the different sized avatars of the standard size. My question is: does the rigging still look properly after I duplcate AND after I set it to a different sized avatar? Or do I need to duplicate+scale the mesh without it being rigged?

Also, here's how I do my rigging:

1. Select the mesh and then the armature and select Parent to Armature with Empty Groups

. Select the mesh and the avatr body and then use the Bone Weight Copy add-on, interpolation 2, both checkboxes checked (yes, this add-on works fine with blender 2.6)

Problem 1: It sounds like you have a situation where you have some vertices with zero weights. Select the pelvis bone of the armature and move it around. Any vertices with zero weights will not move. 

Problem 2: If you duplicate a model with weights, the weights will still be there. However, you usually want to tweak the vertices to fit the new avatar not just scale the model. In some cases, you will have to go in and adjust the weights as well. This is especially true if the target avatar is much bigger or smaller than the original avatar you built the clothing for.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.