Maya 2011 - multiple textures - wrong uv map?

Nya Jules

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

[Update 3: I eventually made it. But it only worked with the Opencollada-Plugin from http://www.opencollada.org/download.html for Maya.]

Hello, I've got the problem that, after uploading a mesh into SL and applying textures to it, the textures look as if a different uv-map was used. Here is what I did:

1. Created Polygon Sphere
  2. Assigned 2 materials to 2 different face-areas on the mesh. Everything looks fine in Maya.
  3. Exported mesh as .dae
  4. Baked textures (light and color)
  5. Uploaded mesh and both .tga files into SL.
  6. Applied textures to both face-areas.

I use the 2011 3_1_3 fbx plugin.

Did I forget a step in Maya?

Edit: During my various attempts I made it 1(!) time to upload the mesh incl. textures correctly. I don't know what I did differently, when I wanted to repeat it, it messed up the textures again. I think I assigned different materials. But: In SL I can use the textures coming with any messed up mesh and put them on the correctly working mesh, the textures look about the same. But I cannot take the textures from the correctly working mesh and put them on the screwed mesh, it stays screwed.

Update 2: If I follow the mentioned steps without baking textures, it works (but looking at the uv-map, both textures cover the whole uv quadrant space). I can uploaded the textured mesh. But as soon as I bake, it breaks.

And if I create a uv via autom. mapping, so there's nothing overlapping, it looks very fine in maya, the textures fit into the uv layout after baking, but it is messed up in SL.

This is the uv map:

uvmap.png

Can you show a picture of what's happening in both Maya and SL, so we can get an idea of what's going wrong?

I do have to say your UV map is about the most biazzare one I've ever seen for a sphere.  Is there some reason you want it to be that way?  In most cases, the best map for a sphere is the default one, just a uniform grid, with saw teeth at the top and bottom.  Your wastes more than a third of the canvas space. of the canvas space.

Also, since you're not overlapping UV's, I'm not sure why you'd need multiple materials in SL.  Are you planning on doing multiple levels of shininess, or a partial glow, or something.  If not, then a single material would be the way to go.

You can certainly bake a single texture from a multi-material model, in Maya, and then apply that texture to a single-material version of the model in Maya, to acheive exactly the same look, with minimal overhead.  This is one of the very things that baking is for in the first place.

Chosen Few wrote:

Can you show a picture of what's happening in both Maya and SL, so we can get an idea of what's going wrong?

I do have to say your UV map is about the most biazzare one I've ever seen for a sphere.  Is there some reason you want it to be that way?

I created the sphere only for testing purposes, to get to know the process of exporting and uploading.

The problem was simply, using the fbx-plugin, that the textures on the sphere, in SL, looked weird on the mesh, like shifted, repeated, rotated, everyhting, as if the uv map got corrupted. This problem is solved with the opencollada-plugin, I did everything the same way but exported with this other plugin (same uv map too), and the textures applied in SL are 100% correct now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.