anyone have problems with video cards today?

TPrai Helix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I had no problem running second life for the past year, until today. Now suddenly, on both my mac and my dell xps15 I cannot open a second life viewer for more than 5 minutes without a problem. I am not sure what to do about it either.

I updated the intel and nvidea video drivers on my dell xps 15 and ran a diagnostic on my computer only to see that all is working well. I must admit to being totally stumped. Any suggestions??

5 answers to this question

Two computers (each with diffferent operating systems) having problems with "video cards" at the same time would lead one to believe that the problem has nothing to do with video cards.  You say you can't open any viewer for more than 5 minutes before some problems.  What kind of problems?  There are any number of "problems" that can occur ranging from a sim problem to a network problem somewhere between the network interface on your computer and the servers that Linden Lab owns.  That's a bunch or places to develop a problem.  No one can help you without some information.......at least, a discription of the problems you are experiencing (I don't know why people don't think it's important to discribe the problems they are experiencing.......I guess they think we are mind readers or somehow can jump through the Internet to your side to see for ourselves).

My guess (for almost nothing to work with) is it's one of two things.  The sim where you log into is having some problems.  Or it's something in your home network.  If it's a sim problem then contact the owner of the sim (if mainland, contact LL via a support ticket).  If it's in your home network, the first (and easiest) step is to reboot your router and modem.  Unplug the devices from their electrical source for 3 to 5 minutes then plug them back in.  Reboot your computer after the lights settle to their normal blinking routine to re-establish your Internet connection.

• Like 1

Can you please provide more information. Does any message appear when you crash? Is it a complete crash to desktop or what I call a silent crash. You seem to be connected but can't walk or do anything then a minute later you get a message saying you've been logged out and do you want to view IMs and chat.

Please also post your computer specifications from login screen > Help > About Second Life and post them into your original post using Options > Edit.

Try turning off HTTP textures in the Develop Menu (CTRL + ALT + Q) and see if that helps. Also what Peggy suggested.

Sometimes I get more crashes than usual. It is mostly on high graphics, high scripted sims or busy sims and usually during LL working hours.I usually experience more lag at those times too. It isnt a permanent issue for me, so I put it down to LL doing work on the Grid as it always goes away later ! I just avoid the sims that crash me until things get sorted.

Hi - having the same crash problem with new viewer:

* in various sims (although not as quickly in lower lag sims)

* no message - just a 'silent crash' without warnings or messages.

Solutions I've attempted:

diagnostic tests on computer and pings

re-downloaded viewer (3-4 times)

rebooted computer (5-6 times)

re-booted modem (with the ISP helpline)

My computer specs from Log-in screen:

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33GHz (3330 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670 OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-1.6.36

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with GCC version 40001

Any suggestions ??

Thanks

Yes I have been having problems.  I have a Radeon HD5870 graphics card in my alienware.  Since the recent upday my driver stops working and recovers.  When that happens I cannot see anything in viewer as it stops working or freezes black screen etc.  However, you can still hear voice of nearby avi's talking on mic. 

My husband used to work for dell computers and has tried updating the graphics card again, updated the motherboard, gone to the website of the manufacturer and did some research.  At the current time he says that until the manufacturer does another update with patch there is not really anything that can be done. 

There are no answers for this particular issue and would seem to be widespread.  People have gone and re-installed, erase and reinstalled video card drivers and did not fix the problem.  The graphics card is ok but he say could be conflicts with the softward causing compatability problems.

One person had updated the graphics card and the problem decreased and eventually stopped.

So I would have to say that with all the research my husband did, we are stuck at the moment.

I hope this helps, although no solution currently until updates come out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.