Some one tried to buy L$ using my account

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today i woke up to find an Email from Linden telling me that a transaction to buy L$ from my account had failed, it was a no reply Email.

Then i received a phone call from my bank telling me that certain L$ purchases failed.

I believe that some one is was trying to purchase L$ using my account and failed luckily.

The last time i purchased L$ was on the 11\05\2012 last month, but it seems that some one was trying to buy them last night using my details.

I have now deleted my payment method and changed my password, and the bank has cancelled my credit card and is sending me a new one.

Luckily who ever is was failed in thier atempt to steal from me.

My question is how do i report this to Linden in the hopes the person whose guilty will be caught and delt with?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for replying and surplying the link.

I read through the page and i will follow up on it, i just carnt do so straight away because the page says they must put the avatar on hold until they get to the bottom of things, and my avatar is engaged in online activities at the moment.

As soon as my activities are done i will, its just a pity since im one of those whose online all the time.

Alt Lexington wrote:

Thank you for replying and surplying the link.

I read through the page and i will follow up on it, i just carnt do so straight away because the page says they must put the avatar on hold until they get to the bottom of things, and my avatar is engaged in online activities at the moment.

As soon as my activities are done i will, its just a pity since im one of those whose online all the time.

People can't randomly hack your account in SL. The person that did this would have had to be someone that you gave the password to, or someone you know well enough that they were able to make a very very lucky guess, which is not likely.   The only other possibility is that you may have a key logger on your computer or other type of spyware. that was put there when you clicked a link to a website that someone sent you. You should take immediate action to be sure that your computer is not compromised. If it is, they could try again by obtaining your new password and credit card number.

You need to report it IMMEDIATELY to LL to protect yourself as well as other people that they may victimize.

About six months ago I logged onto Gmail, and a notice popped up telling me that someone had logged onto it from Indonesia.  I am in the US.  I don't know how it happened, but I am certain that I do not have a keylogger, that the password had never been written down, that it would not be easy to guess (It was two unrelated words separated by two numerals.), and that I had divulged it to no one.  I was alarmed because it was obvious from the email that I had a SL account, and I was using the same password for it as for gmaiL.  I changed both passwords immediately.  No harm that I could detect was done.

This illustrates that there must be some non-obvious way to hack passwords.

I agree that there are ways to hack accounts on a number of websites on the internet.  Not all of them are all that secure.  I've heard from more than one friend  that  is an expert at computer and system security.  Google applications and G-mail in particular I've been warned about.

The reason I warned the OP the way I did is that in the almost six years I've been here and heard or knew of accounts that got hacked like this, it has always  turned out to be one of the reasons I gave. Sadly, most of the time it also turns out that it was a so called 'friend' that was responsible.  The few times I've heard that the responsible party was someone that the victim didn't know was instances where the victim naively accepted things randomly from someone that they didn't know, or they saw a random link to a website in chat or IM and clicked it out of curiosity.

I also agree that it is not beyond the realm of possibility that she did nothing and was randomly hacked. After all for any security system that can be devised, there is someone out there smart enough to figure the way around it.   However she still should check her PC out thoroughly just in case, as she probably has a lot more to lose other than SL account related things if she does have spyware or a keylogger.  Better safe than sorry.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.