Second Life Viewer i686 out of Standard Linux

lupopa Grau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

the Second Life Viewer i686 for Linux is not up to date.

The new Linux versionen are coming up and required 64Bit Systems, and the 32 Bit Viewer on a 64 Bit with ia32-libs make the Linux System unstable :-(

It is time that Linden labs follow the standard Linux Systems ...

I'll don't use the SL Viewer, I'll using "kokua Viewer" or "Teapot" from http://blog.kokuaviewer.org/

I have no Problems with Kokua 64Bit on my Linux Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin...

Greetings

lupopa Grau

lupopa Grau wrote:

IIRC, there's nothing stopping you from compiling amd64 binaries instead of using the i686 binaries provided.  Keep in mind that Linux supports some 30-odd architectures, it's not all about amd64.

I've often tried my Second Life viewer itself to be compiled, only the beat always fail again because I missed any files or errors appeared in the code. Despite careful execution of the Wiki...

I hope you understand my english, using Google-Translator..

LG

Lupopa

Baloo Uriza wrote:

lupopa Grau wrote:

IIRC, there's nothing stopping you from compiling amd64 binaries instead of using the i686 binaries provided.  Keep in mind that Linux supports some 30-odd architectures, it's not all about amd64.

whilst technically correct, the statement misses the point. Namely that the majority of linux systems built these days are x86_64 and should be supported by LL. The 32 bit binary will run with compatibility libs, but media won't play, and the viewer crashes when the memory usage exceeds 3GB.

Another area that might need to be modernised is the use of the sound system. Currently the viewer doesn't share sound resources with other applications.

PromisingBoy wrote:

The 32 bit binary will run with compatibility libs, but media won't play, and the viewer crashes when the memory usage exceeds 3GB.

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but I'm not running into that problem.

Another area that might need to be modernised is the use of the sound system. Currently the viewer doesn't share sound resources with other applications.

That's a hardware bug.  Try using a sound device that can play more than one stream at a time.

This is not a Hardwarebug!

I can hear, gmusicbrowser, VLC, Rhythmbox Amarok at same time... and hear 4 songs :)

But the SL Viewer will not play Music. I'll copy the Musicstream from Landinfo into my VLC Player and play the Stream there.

I ( and all other 64 bit linux users I know  except that one guy running a 64 bit arch linux) have streaming music in world under my 64 bit debian system under the official LL V3 browser and a couple of of third party viewers.

It requires to install some additional packages from your system'S software sources and editing one tiny single character in the browser's/viewer's startup script. IM me in world to get more detailled  instructions on how to enable this.

You could also use Imprudence ( outdated, old V1.3 code) or Kokua/Teapot (LL V3.x based) , two TPVs that are avaiable as native 64 bit viewers which should give you steaming music instanty and will not crash when reaching 3-7 GB of RAM usage ( That's the  amount of memory usage where every 32 bit application crashes under a 64 bit system).

My usual online times are from 7 pm cest to midnight cest (SLT +9h)

Jeannie

Do you have a sound daemon running?  If so, are you still able to do that if you have them go straight to alsa and kill the daemon?  If the answer is no, then yes, it is a hardware bug (and a rather common one, since many manufacturers cheap out on the chipset.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.