Rigged Mesh, 3dsMax 2010 - Losing wieghts on mesh upload

Ikey Ilex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've done a lot of reading on this, and I have determined that Second Life is honestly just stupid about this. However, on the off chance I'm missing something, I'll post this anyway.

If anyone is familiar with the problem of Rigged Mesh not being rigged when you try to upload it to SL, that's what I'm having. What's really strange is, I have a single rig that worked. The required 21 bones are all there (Plus toe bones and probably a couple more) and properly named. In fact, what I'm using is literally the straight up SL skeleton. No new bones, no deleted old ones. A few are rotated to be more T-Pose friendly, but this shouldn't matter as like I said, I've had one function rig using the exact same skeleton I'm using now, it's only a different mesh itself - which is and Editable Poly.

The functional mesh worked great, except if I ever trying to split the polygons up at all (As in made a given part a differnt Polygon), then tried to test upload it again, SL would lose the weights. Then if I attached the split polygons back into one piece, it would work again. Obviously, that doesn't make any sense.

If there have been any breakthroughs relating to this bug that I am unaware of, please do post it here, I'm thoroughly confused.

Once more, there is no way it's the skeleton, as the exact same skeleton worked befor, and still does on one specific model.

When you rip your mesh apart, not all bones are assigned to all resulting pieces, even if you assign them in max. What you need to do is add them by hand in the collada file, which is a textfile you can open in wordpad or something similair.

All bones need to be assigned to all pieces, even if they have a weight of 0.

I see, so 3dsmax "cleans" up the rigging when you export? That tells me quite a few things.

With that said, I took a glance at the file in Nopad and skimmed through it, but I don't really know what I need to add. Any help on that?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.