Is there a way your avatar "heavier" to lessen the impact of a collision from another Avatar?

Sabrina Dumont

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know there is a movement lock attachment in SL that will return your AV back to where is was standing if someone "bumped" into you.  But today at a sporting event in SL I saw an avatar who felt "heavy".  You'd walk into this person and they'd barely move.  I tested this out several times on the same person then a few more times on friends of mine and there was a very noticeable difference.  Is this something that would be controlled via an attachment or like a slider on a 3rd person viewer?  Thanks for any help !

1 answer to this question

All movelock scripts are not created equal.  As an example, one popular way to keep an avatar from moving during a collision is to make a worn object that can be turned into a vehicle, and then apply the brakes to the vehicle.  The guts of a movelock script based on this model would look something like this ...

Lock(){    lock_position = llGetPos();    llMoveToTarget(lock_position, 0.05);  //"Move" the avatar to its current position    llSetVehicleType(VEHICLE_TYPE_SLED);  //Turn this object into a vehicle    llSetVehicleVectorParam(VEHICLE_LINEAR_FRICTION_TIMESCALE, <0.05, 0.05, 0.05>);  // And add enough friction to make it hard to move}

You can vary the resistance to movement by changing the amount of friction.  You can also put this little code snippet in a timer that keeps moving it back to the lock_position every time the timer triggers.  If you make the timer trigger every second or so, the script will keep pushing the avatar and its attached object faster than if you only trigger the timer, say, every 5 seconds.  So, one person might have a movelock script with more friction and a faster timer than someone else, so might feel "heavier" to move.  Adding the extra resistance comes at a cost for the av and the sim, since a fast timer adds more lag to the sim's servers than a slow one.  There are other ways to create a movelock, but each gives the scripter some flexibility to decide how immobile to make the avatar who wears them.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.