Considering a new laptop.. I want to be able to view and use the new Mesh items..

Wicked Galaxy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

here are the specs on what I'm considering buying... will this do the trick?

Thanks in advance for help/feedback

SYSTEMInspiron 17R 
PROCESSOR2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor (2.20 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz) 
MEMORY8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz 
HARD DRIVE1TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive 
VIDEO CARDNVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M (128-bit) 1GB 
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE8X DVD+/-RW Tray Load Drive, no-software

6 answers to this question

I would be a little leary of the 525M graphics card though it probably will run SL mesh......you will take a pretty hefty preformance hit (mostly in the frames per second area making texture lag a potential issue).  Talk to the retailer you are considering purchasing the computer from and see if they can upgrade that card to a GT550M.  I would feel comfortable about mesh with that card.

Like everything else laptop, that upgrade is going to be surprisingly expensive (way more than a comparable desktop graphics upgrade).  To offset some of that cost increase you could opt for an i5 CPU instead of the i7......the i5 is overkill for SL and the i7 is even more (you won't see a performance hit what-so-ever and you can save a $100 plus).  Also, a terrabyte of storage, unless you have 1,000's of pictures, videos, and music to save to the hard drive, is about twice what you would likely ever need.  Computer manufacturers hype the huge storage to up the price of the computers.  To make such a hard drive managable and efficient you will need to partition it into smaller areas (especially with it comes to the time it will take to defragment the drive.......something you should do as a normal preventative maintenance rituall on a regular basis).  500 gigs is a good size (even that is larger than the vast majority of users need).....to protect your pictures and videos and music it's best to save and archive those on removable media anyway).  Going with a smaller hard drive will save you a few more dollars to put toward the graphics card upgrade.

Don't forget a cooling pad.  No matter what video card you get SL will heat up your laptop tremendously.........$30 to $40 dollars is cheap insurance.

• Like 2

thank you for your suggestions Peggy... I have gone and tweaked the laptop specs..
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit, English
Processor 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz)
Memory 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus
Hard Drive 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

I think this is closer to the suggestions you made... I welcome you comments/suggestions.
And yes I have a chill pad with fans that I use all the time.. I learned that some time ago with an HP laptop I had.
thanks again for your help
Wiki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.