Stretch Mesh Texture Question

AmySue Shirakawa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A customer of mine put a speckeled texture on one of my mesh skirts and when she poses on a posing stand it stretches out the mesh and thus the texture.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to avoid this?  Here is the picture she sent me: http://grabilla.com/02602-13c56338-8144-4a20-b65f-bf47bd33ba5c.html

Thanks for any help you can give!

AmySue Shirakawa

Yes... within limits.

If you make the mesh with different weighting, you can minimize the stretch. When you pose the avatar in Blender with legs spread or mid-stride in a walk animation you can see the problem. Most tutorials show using the avatar legs (lowerbody) to weight clothes. You'll find that a very small area between the legs gets all the deformation when the avatar's legs move.

You can extend that area with weighting and add more vertices in the area. You run into problems getting the weighting to work well but it can done to a point. So, to a degree you iminmize the stretch.

A problem comes in when you 'sit' the avatar. The change from standing and walk to sitting is rather extreme. It is much harder to get the sit-weighting to work with the standing-walking weighting.

To get around the problem the clothes must be loose fitting. Or one must alpha layer the legs out. This makes short (mid thigh) and mini skirts look rediculious. 

It is concevable one could make s skirt with folds and weighting to reduce stretch even farther. But weighting is already tedious enough.

This leads to the discussion on STORM-1716 where people are asking for a better weighted avatar to start from, which spins off into discussion avout Avatar 2.0. We may see a better weighted avatar. I doubt we will see Avatar 2.0.

http://blog.nalates.net/2012/05/26/the-great-sl-deformer-debate/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.